Intern - Un Academic Impact
United Nations Secretariat, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
The Internship is in the United Nations Academic Impact (UNAI), which is part of the Outreach Division of the Department of Public Information. UNAI is an initiative that aligns institutions of higher education with the United Nations in supporting and contributing to the realization of United Nations goals and mandates, including the promotion and protection of human rights, access to education, sustainability and conflict resolution.
The internship is for a minimum period of four months with an opportunity for extension up to six months, depending on the needs of the Unit and availability of the candidate, with substantial preference being given to candidates who are able to commit to the maximum six-month period.
The internship is unpaid and full-time.
Interns work five days a week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the office to which they are assigned.
Working under the supervision of the Associate Information Officer, the intern will assist the UNAI team with its daily tasks.
The selected intern may perform some of the following functions:
- Conducting internet research on thematic issues related to UNAI’s principles and mandate, including the Sustainable Development Goals, Human Rights and Global Citizenship Education
- Drafting, formatting, editing and posting original web site content/news stories, including graphics, photographs and video
- Drafting social media content for UNAI Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn accounts
- Assisting with planning and organization of lectures and events, including researching speakers, preparing invitations and promotional material
- Maintaining UNAI databases
- Providing general office support (processing, drafting and finalizing correspondence and other communications; setting up and maintaining files/records, organizing meetings etc.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme in journalism, communication, media studies, filmmaking, international relations or related field (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
- have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation;
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views;
- Skills and experience in writing, social media and multimedia production are strongly desired.
- No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
- Experience writing for social media platforms and websites is desirable.
- Experience producing multimedia communications materials is desirable.
- English and French are working languages of the UN Secretariat. Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.