The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger.FAO aims to achieve food security for all and make sure that people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives. With over 194 member states, FAO works in over 130 countries worldwide.
The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA). The project “UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA’s Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme” is the first project that has been approved within the framework of FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through implementation of nine project components:
- Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing;
- Development of beekeeping and honey production;
- Development of rose production and trade;
- Development of sub-tropical fruits production, processing and marketing;
- Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishermen and fish farmers;
- Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders;
- Development of rain-fed cereals production;
- Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and
- Strengthening MoEWA’s capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
An overall plan and budget is developed and approved, including activities and outputs that are expected to be accomplished under each component. Requirements for international technical expertise of each component have been identified. In order to ensure a coordinated, smooth, timely and successful implementation of the project, long-term competent international technical advisors will be appointed as Component Managers to each of the nine components. Each Component Manager will be supported by a team of international consultants and experts who are technical specialists in the subject matters of the various outputs and activities.
FAO-Saudi Arabia is seeking for consultants with relevant expertise in the coffee production and processing technology, coffee agronomic practices, coffee disease control, coffee quality and standards, coffee marketing and cooperatives, coffee agribusiness development and value chain analysis.
The Component Consultants report to the Programme Director in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative, RNE.
Capacity development and knowledge management for coffee production, processing, marketing, agribusiness and value chain development.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- The Consultants of the project component on coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing in coordination with the Component Technical Adviser and National Manager will:
- Undertake a situation analysis and comprehensive sector review for the coffee Arabica industry in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA), and assess comparative and competitive advantages of the industry in KSA.
- Undertake situation analysis of existing rural agricultural cooperatives in Arabic coffee, and benchmark best coffee processing practices, coffee seedling production, innovative technologies, and successful experiences/countries in coffee industry.
- Promote agro ecological practices among coffee Arabica growers, develops a catalogue of major coffee diseases, pests and weeds in the target regions and formulates and implements an IPM programme for control of coffee pests and diseases.
- Pilot test and promote the introduction of farm power and mechanization for the production of coffee in the target region.
- Develop and pilot-test procedures for coffee tissue culture methods, and establishes and operates modern coffee nursery and coffee seed orchards to produce and distribute drought and pest resistance high yielding healthy coffee varieties, seedlings and seeds.
- Determine and promotes irrigation scheduling for coffee grown under various faming systems of the target regions.
- Establish coffee model demonstration farm and applied research and extension centres for Arabica coffee to pilot-test and promote best cultural and agronomic practices among coffee small growers in target regions.
- Develop pilot business and small agripreneurs model for coffee small growers in KSA to engage youth in coffee industry.
- Develop appropriate contract farming models and other direct marketing strategies for Arabica coffee small producers, and explores and establishes geographical indication and develops effective branding strategies for Arabic coffee.
- Introduce and disseminate post harvesting technology to minimize coffee loss and maintain quality, and develops coffee cherry picking regime for good harvesting practices.
- Identify and assess current quality of the Saudi fresh and roasted coffee products, benchmarks coffee quality standards and protocols, and prepares technical design for Saudi Coffee Quality Control Centre to assist improving Saudi quality.
- Design and implements smallholder needs-based rural agriculture research, extension and advisory services programme for Arabica coffee.
- Develop a needs-based training and capacity development programme to strengthen skills of coffee processors and other value chain actors.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in agronomy, agriculture, plant production, agriculture economics, value chain development, agricultural marketing or related field.
- 12 years of relevant experience in small scale coffee industry development including at international level.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian) for Consultants. Working knowledge of English for PSA.SBS.
- Work experience in more than one location and particularly in field positions.
- Extent and relevance of experience in small scale coffee production and marketing industry.
- Familiarity with project management skills including familiarity with results frameworks, project work planning and budgeting;
- Demonstrated communication skills, including the ability to convey and present sensitive issues/positions.
- Analytical skills and ability to write clear and concise reports is considered a strong asset.
- Proficiency in English is essential and familiarity with Arabic language is desirable.
- Work experience with international organizations and in technical cooperation projects supporting countries.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
- Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in coffee industry and related issues.
- Ability to provide technical and advisory services.