Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Background / General description:
• The Private Equity and Investment Funds Department (CTTPE) is seeking to recruit an Investment Officer (G1 level) for South Asia with duty station New Delhi/ Mumbai. Candidate will work primarily on South Asia but may be asked to support projects in other IFC regions as well. The position will report to the South Asia Lead and will be based in New Delhi/ Mumbai.
• Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 year term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities:
Under the oversight of the Regional Lead for PE funds in South Asia, the candidate will be responsible for a wide variety of operational tasks including, but not limited, to:
• develop a thorough understanding of the target countries in the South Asia region, provide market intelligence and develop strong business network, build a network of regional and international investors/clients and maintain relationships to assist in fund raising;
• review, screen and analyze private placement memoranda received either directly from general partners or indirectly through private placement agents to check adherence to IFC’s investment guidelines, the discipline of the General Partner’s capability in deploying funds, managing portfolios and delivering upper quartile returns;
• undertake due diligence of potential fund investments and coordinate the involvement of relevant industry and regional departments and business development colleagues;
• actively participate in the structuring, negotiating and execution of deals in a lead or supporting role;
• prepare investment review materials and presentation to investment committee to obtain approval. Negotiate in coordination with internal and external legal advisors the legal agreements and documentations of the fund.
• coordinate with Industry and Regional Departments, working together to add value to our client’s business, find pragmatic solutions, and achieve a sustainable development impact;
• undertake routine portfolio supervision reviews of funds and investee companies, prepare supervision reports as and when needed including portfolio performance appraisal using the audited financial statements of funds to determine level of diversification, net asset and fair market valuation, and performance analysis in comparison to relevant benchmarks;
• track compliance of portfolio companies with reporting requirements, including monitoring the flow of financial statements and other reports, coordinate communications with the necessary departments; monitor client compliance with their legal agreement with IFC; propose courses of action in the event of non-compliance;
• develop IFC’s relationships and co-investment strategies with its fund managers;
• communicate, internally and externally, IFC’s strategy for funds as well as our rationale for engaging in specific transactions;
• Minimum eight years relevant work experience
• Masters degree in Business Administration or a post-graduate degree(s) in equivalent fields such as finance and business, from an institution of high standing.
• Good business development and client relationship skills, record of successful client relationships, ability to focus on clients needs effectively.
• Sound business judgment in identifying potential business partners and businesses.
• High professional integrity.
• Ability to think independently, analyze problems and identify appropriate solutions.
• Ability to analyze complex structures and assist clients in financial structuring.
• High degree of initiative, flexibility, reliability, discretion and willingness to learn.
• Self-starter with excellent organizational, administrative and time management skills with proven ability to work promptly and efficiently under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
• Highly motivated and energetic, outstanding interpersonal skills, with a collegial and sharing work style; comfortable working in a matrix organizational structure, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds, ability to work with people at all levels (inside and outside of IFC) with demonstrated team spirit and responsiveness and demonstrated ability for team work.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English is a must.
• Ability and willingness to travel.
Desirable Characteristics and Experience:
• Knowledge of the private equity market in emerging markets, as well as the critical success factors for investing in private equity funds.
• Demonstrated experience and track record in analyzing, investing in, and monitoring the performance of private equity funds.
• Ability to negotiate and analyze proposed legal terms and conditions for fund investments, and familiarity with legal agreements and structures.