Background / General description
Innovation and partnership bond the five institutions of the World Bank Group (WBG): the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA), which together form the World Bank; the International Finance Corporation (IFC); the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA); and the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). Established in 1944, The World Bank Group is one of the world's largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. It uses financial resources and extensive experience to help our client countries to reduce poverty, increase economic growth, and improve quality of life. To ensure that countries can access the best global expertise and help generate cutting-edge knowledge, the World Bank Group is constantly seeking to improve the way it works. Key priorities include delivering measurable results, promoting openness and transparency in development, and improving access to development information and data.
Information and Technology Solutions (ITS) enables the WBG to achieve its mission of ending extreme poverty by 2030 and boosting shared prosperity in a sustainable manner by delivering transformative information and technologies to its staff working in over 130 client countries. ITS services range from: establishing the infrastructure to reach and connect staff and development stakeholders; providing the devices and agile technology and information applications to facilitate the science of delivery through decentralized services; creating and maintaining tools to integrate information across the World Bank Group, the clients we serve and the countries where we operate; and delivering the computing power staff need to analyze development challenges and identify solutions. The ITS business model combines dedicated business solutions centers that provide services tailored to specific World Bank Group business needs and shared services that provide infrastructure, applications and platforms for the entire Group. ITS is one of three VPUs that have been brought together as the World Bank Group Integrated Services (WBGIS), to provide enhanced corporate core services and enable the institution to operate as one strategic and coordinated entity.
As a unit within the Finance ITS, ITSBG provides state-of-art cross-cutting information and technology applications to support various operations of the finance clients. This is a new position in ITSBG Chennai to deliver IT solutions supporting internal and external client business functions for IBRD, IDA and MIGA.
Duties and Accountabilities:
Independent contributor IT professional, with in-depth expertise on architecting and managing web based application with the following responsibilities
- Participates in the feasibility analysis for new systems/applications.
- Interfaces with business analysts, project managers, and/or clients to clarify requirements. Develops technical specifications.
- May serve as a technical lead or project manager on small sized projects.
- Participates in systems integration efforts, executing as needed to integrate new applications into the installed base.
- Performs coding and/or configuration to meet documented needs, utilizing standard procedures and techniques.
- Tests own work, leads peer reviews, and contributes to the development of test plans and participates in post-implementation reviews.
- Provides daily operational support for production systems including providing on-call support.
- Writes system documentation. Participates in user training as appropriate, on new or revised systems/applications.
- Establishes systems to monitor the operating efficiency of existing application systems and provides (or arranges for) proactive maintenance.
- Participates in systems design, working within an established framework. Typically provides direction to a team of staff and contractors in their area of expertise and may be responsible for managing performance of team members.
- Provides technical guidance and mentorship to team members.
- Guide the development team to create project and application architecture deliverables / artifacts in line with WBG EA reference architecture, guiding principles, standards, methodologies, and best practices
- Stays abreast of new technologies, market trends, experiment new tools and emerging solutions that is in line with organization’s strategic goals
- Work closely with Infrastructure teams e.g., Windows, Web Administration, Network Operations, Infrastructure Platforms, Mobility, Database, Security Administration to define deployment architecture and capacity planning for any new environment / Landscape and any critical issue resolution
- Work closely with WBG fiduciary teams e.g., Enterprise Architecture (EA) , Office of the Information Security (OIS) during various stages of software development and act as an liaison for various development teams
- Respond to client queries and provide technical support/guidance to the application support team and coordinate with other ITS teams in resolving day-to-day production issues quickly based on problem criticality.
- Establishes systems to monitor the operating efficiency of existing application systems and arrange for proactive maintenance
- Creating a culture that is based on knowledge sharing and learning from best practices
- Exhibiting high level of professional flexibility and volunteering innovation and new ideas
- Coordination with on-site counter parts on various responsibilities that are listed above with flexible shift timings
- Contributes subject matter expertise and serves as a technical resource for other professionals in their field
- Vendor Contractor Management - Coordinates with contractors from one or more vendor partners and ensure timely delivery with required quality
- Master's degree with 4 years relevant experience specified in technical and functional competency or bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 7 years of most relevant experience specified in technical and functional competency
- Minimum 4+ Experience as a technical lead responsible for system design and implementation using various technologies, preferably in financial domain
- WBG experience is a plus.
Technical & Functional Competencies Required
- At least 4 years of experience in C#, .NET Core development with a focus on web development in ASP.NET MVC, Web API, WCF, Entity Framework, REST, MVVM, etc.,
- At least 3 years of experience in developing web application/SPA using Angular (reactive, Typescript)
- Thorough understanding of Azure cloud service offering and at least 2 years of experience in developing applications using such services (covering Azure Compute, Data, Storage, Backup, Network and PaaS services including Web Apps, Azure Functions, VMs, Event Hubs Key Vault, Kubernetes, Container Registry, App Services, Azure AD, Application Gateway, API Management, Service Bus, Azure SQL, Blob Storage among others).
- Advanced understanding of HTML/CSS and cross browser compliant websites. Experience with a responsive UI framework such as Bootstrap.
- Strong knowledge of Cloud security standards and principles including Identity and Access management in Azure.
- Ability to analyze applications for Azure suitability and propose right target state on Azure considering cost, performance, and security.
- Strong knowledge of Enterprise Architecture, Azure cloud reference architecture and associated design patterns.
- Demonstrated ability of design and development of applications/ products utilizing a variety of architecture principles, including microservices architecture
- Experience in SQL Server database development, query tuning, and maintenance.
- Demonstrated experience in application security/vulnerability management and optimize the performance of the application system to be used across globe along with experience in implementing multi factor authentication schema using Site minder CA Agent, F5 APM, AAD, OAuth2, Scope, Token
- Experience using Cloud Native CI/CD tools (Azure Pipelines/Circle CI/Jenkins X) is highly desirable
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) Certification – ASP.NET MVC Web Applications is a must.
- Microsoft certified Axure Developer and/or solution architect is a plus
- Exposure to integration with Enterprise Software ERP e.g., (SAP / People Soft) is a plus.
- Strong communication skills in a professional setting; ability to discuss requirements with a variety of stakeholders.
- Analytical & Problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in team in diverse/ multiple stakeholder environment
- Experience and desire to work in a Global delivery environment
- Deliver Results for Clients: Contributes to delivery of results for client on complex issues. Sets challenging goals that align with the WBG mission and is always looking to improve. Understands clients’ most pressing challenges and contributes to solutions. Takes personal responsibility for producing high quality work, identifying and informing of risks, and delivering results for clients.
- Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries: Keeps others fully informed to ensure integration and work consistency and displays a sense of mutuality and respect. Approaches conflicts as common problems to be solved. Seeks and listens to input from others to inform own decision making and openly shares information. Frames thinking/actions with a WBG corporate perspective in mind.
- Lead and Innovate: Brings new and different insights. Applies critical thinking to current approaches, identifies areas for improvement, and tries new solutions that drive results. Considers own behavior in context of WBG’s values and mission and recognizes impact one has on others. Operates in ambiguity and changing needs and supports others to do the same.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge: Actively contributes to and readily applies WBG’s body of knowledge for internal and/or external client solutions. Contributes to the department’s and WBG’s body of knowledge by applying lessons learned and expertise. Actively invests in own knowledge and seeks feedback. Builds personal and professional networks within and beyond the work group.
- Make Smart Decisions: Leverages available data and makes timely decisions. Seeks and analyzes facts, data and lessons of experience to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others’ work. Applies cost/benefit analysis to meet work program objectives. Contributes to decision making by providing relevant risk-analysis. Shows initiative when necessary and makes decisions in a timely manner within own area of responsibility.
IT Business Competencies:
- Client Understanding and Advising: Advises the client and helps them think proactively about how to best meet their current and future needs, taking into consideration the real underlying issues that the client may not be aware of.
- Learning Orientation: Stays abreast of new trends and developments in the industry and broader trends affecting WBG.
- Broad Business Thinking: Maintains a deep understanding of key business issues.
- Business Process Knowledge: Describes and documents critical cross-functional business process flows.
- Business Requirements Analysis: Reviews customer business requirements, recommending technological solutions that can be integrated and deployed in the environment.
- Systems Thinking: Plans improvements that consider the critical, underlying and less apparent relationships between business, technology and systems platforms.
Poverty has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe.