Established in 1944, the World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. It is governed by 189 member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 16,000 staff globally.
Innovation and partnership bond the five institutions of the World Bank Group (WBG): The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA), which together form the World Bank; the International Finance Corporation (IFC); the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA); and the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The World Bank Group is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. It uses financial resources and extensive experience to help our client countries to reduce poverty, increase economic growth, and improve quality of life. To ensure that countries can access the best global expertise and help generate cutting-edge knowledge, the World Bank Group is constantly seeking to improve the way it works. Key priorities include delivering measurable results, promoting openness and transparency in development, and improving access to development information and data.
Vice Presidency Context
- Information and Technology Solutions (ITS) enables the WBG to achieve its mission of ending extreme poverty by 2030 and boosting shared prosperity in a sustainable manner by delivering transformative information and technologies to its staff working in over 130 client countries.
- ITS services range from: establishing the infrastructure to reach and connect staff and development stakeholders; providing the devices and agile technology and information applications to facilitate the science of delivery through decentralized services; creating and maintaining tools to integrate information across the World Bank Group, the clients we serve and the countries where we operate; and delivering the computing power staff need to analyze development challenges and identify solutions.
- The ITS business model combines dedicated business solutions centers that provide services tailored to specific World Bank Group business needs and shared services that provide infrastructure, applications and platforms for the entire Group. ITS is one of three VPUs that have been brought together as the World Bank Group Integrated Services (WBGIS), to provide enhanced corporate core services and enable the institution to operate as one strategic and coordinated entity.
- ITSEN as a department within the WBG Integrated Services vice presidency. ITS Enterprise Services (ITSEN) architects, builds and operates common enterprise-wide technology components. We help drive new technology adoption by ensuring use of the most robust and innovative technologies to solve problems and meet evolving demands.
- The purpose of ITSSM (System Management) unit within ITSEN is to provide complete IT Infrastructure support for the WBG. The ITSSM Department Functions/Services are as follows:
- System Administration: Installation, management and support for servers running the Linux and Windows operating systems.
- On-Prem Computing: Infrastructure to build new apps and deploy existing ones.
- Security: Built-in security to protect data, apps, and infrastructure and help identify rapidly evolving threats.
- Storage and Backup: Secure, scalable storage for data, apps, and workloads.
- Data Center: Secure, centralized computing.
- ITSSM is seeking a System Administration Engineer for sysadmin work on Unix, Windows VM and operational security. The position will work closely with the Technical team leader in Washington DC to advance our system admin and automation initiatives. Other responsibilities include operational duties on the existing environments.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- The System Administration Engineer will have overall responsibilities for executing the work program under the System & Infrastructure Management team; as well as for working as an integral part of the ITSSM team in executing SM’s work programs.
The primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage regular operations of the Unix/Windows/VM environment
- Install, administer and monitor a large, diverse environment
- Institute and execute regular operational security scans
- Provide help with architecture, engineering support and maintenance for Windows, Linux, and infrastructure deployed on VMWare, Cloud, Exadata, and other hardware platforms.
- Design and provide automation support for infrastructure management, patching, monitoring and disaster recovery.
- Provide automation support to design and operate scalable, highly available, and fault tolerant systems On-Prem and cloud.
- Writing automation scripts for provisioning machines, desired state of machines, application stacks and configurations.
- Build automation scripts for image, test and distribution of various Linux flavors in VMware and in cloud.
- Collaborate with clients across various IT Departments to automate operations and processes using tools and configurations provided.
- Participate to design standards, code review, training and documentation in the automation area.
- Selection Criteria
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of sysadmin engineering experience, 2 of those years in a large-scale enterprise
- Experience in handling and resolving issues in large IT operation that contains Various flavors of Windows, Linux, VMware, AWS and Azure cloud.
- Strong experience in operations and system engineering for Windows, Security, RedHat Linux Management.
- Excellent hands on experience in Chef configuration management tool. Working knowledge on the configuration tools ansible and puppet.
- Working knowledge to use Splunk to produce anomaly reports and patterns.
- Deep understanding of security of operating systems, application stacks and methods to mitigate those while crafting automation
- Strong skills in Python, PowerShell, CFT or comparable
- Implement systems that are highly available, scalable and self-healing in the cloud and on-prem
- Define and deploy monitoring, metrics and logging systems.
- Capabilities to provide standard methodologies mentorship on the architectural design across multiple applications, projects or the enterprise.
- Capabilities to provide operations and deployment guidance and standard methodologies throughout the lifecycle of a project.
- Understand, implement, and automate security controls, governance processes, and compliance validation.
- DevOps experience with AWS or Azure Clouds and on-prem systems.
- Advanced level knowledge of TCP/IP networking concepts and protocols, advanced technical knowledge of common network protocols (DNS, HTTP/HTTPS) and network security concepts.
- Solid background in conceptual, analytical and creative problem-solving and evaluative skills, an ability to conduct independent research and analysis, identifying issues, formulating options, and making conclusions and recommendations.
- Excellent technical proficiency on complex projects and the ability to resolve critical issues while handling other projects.
- Ability to assess risks in line with information security objectives and risk tolerance of the institution.
- Takes personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success.
- Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results and has the personal organization to do so.
- Able to present and explain technical information to diverse types of audiences (management, users, vendors, and technical staff).
- Standout colleague with sound technical and user support skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.