Legal Aid Interpreter
Danish Refugee Council, Thessaloniki, Greece
Closing Date for Applications:
- The Danish Refugee Council initiated its activities in the island of Lesvos in November 2015 due to the unprecedented influx of asylum seekers. Following new political developments and displacement dynamics in early 2016, DRC expanded its activities to the mainland to support the people living in several sites across the country. With offices in Athens, Larissa and Thessaloniki, it currently implements a wide range of activities, including Site Management Support, legal assistance, identification of individual needs and protection of highly vulnerable persons, access to services within and outside the hosting sites through cultural mediation, and non-formal education. DRC works closely with the refugee communities, the Greek authorities and other humanitarian actors to ensure a protective environment for refugees and asylum seekers in Greece.
- Under the supervision of the Legal Aid Team Leader of Northern Greece, the management of the Field Protection Manager, and in close coordination and cooperation with DRC Legal Aid Officers, the Legal Aid Interpreter will provide interpretation services, from Farsi to English and/or Greek and vice versa. The interpreter will mainly facilitate the implementation of DRC’s legal assistance program and will support with interpretation in other activities based on needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
The main responsibilities include:
- Provide precise simultaneous interpretation for legal information sessions as well as for one-on-one individual legal counselling and individual legal case management for the DRC roving legal team in Northern Greece;
- Provide written translation when required;
- Other tasks as required by the Legal Aid Team Leader and/or Field Protection Manager to support the implementation of DRC’s legal aid program activities
- Excellent verbal and written English or Greek language skills;
- Excellent knowledge of Farsi language skills;
- Working knowledge of Kurmanji and/or Sorani ;
- Degree in languages, humanities, social or political sciences, law or in any other relevant field;
- Six months of working experience or longer in a related field with refugee and migrant legal frameworks or any previous working experience with local or international NGOs ;
- Experience in interpretation or cultural mediation ;
- Driving license ;
- Good computer skills .
Required Skills & Qualities
- Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
- Advanced interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities;
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others;
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment;
- Commitment to the values, vision and mission of DRC;
- Commitment and respect of the DRC code of conduct.
Terms & Conditions
- The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law (this is a national position)
- All allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus)
- DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
- The position will be based in the broader area of Thessaloniki (Northern Greece) and national terms and conditions apply