Danish Refugee Council, Lebanon
Closing Date for Applications:
About the job
- The legal officer will have the opportunity in obtaining experience of policy relevant monitoring and research and working closely with different stakeholders and public services. The legal officer shall conduct legal awareness sessions on Lebanese labor laws, work permits and legal stay as well as l legal interviews, assistance and counseling related to the aforementioned subject matters with the aims and principles of DRC. The legal officer will be in charge of liaising with different stakeholders to achieve decent working conditions. The legal officer will document and analyze the processes and challenges in relation to the implementation of Lebanese laws including regulations on work permits as well as draft analytical reports in relation thereto.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Contribute to the development and disseminate informational materials in relation to legal residency, labor law, and work permit issues in particular.
- Draft legal documents such as power of attorneys and employment contracts.
- Assist with work permits and visit the Ministry of Labor.
- Support livelihood and protection officers in assisting and counselling beneficiaries on obtaining/renewing civil documentation, legal stay and work permits.
- Identifying and referring individuals in need of legal consultation, representation and/or other services.
- Conduct legal sensitization and information sessions to all of DRC's and partner beneficiaries adapted to information needs observed or identified
- Assisting, supporting and counselling beneficiaries on obtaining/renewing civil and identity documentation (e.g. accompanying and guiding beneficiaries to local authorities, general security …).
- To be successful in this role we expect you to have a University Degree in Lebanese Law or Political Science. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- 1 year experience in a similar position.
- Familiarity with international protection, human rights legal standards, Lebanese labor laws in general and work permits in particular.
- Understanding of the humanitarian values and a commitment to assist the most vulnerable.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Existing network of key stakeholders.
- High impact influencing and negotiating skills.
- Pro-active, self-starter able to work with minimal day to day supervision.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Driving license of at least 2 years validity
- Good knowledge of refugee context, as well as demonstrated ability to identify and refer vulnerable cases (desirable and not essential).
- In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.