Legal Senior Officer
UNOPS, New York, United States
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
Background Information - Job-specific
Under the overall guidance of the Corporate Legal Advisor and Head of the Commercial and Institutional Law Practice, the incumbent shall be responsible for the provision of expert advice to internal and external stakeholders, including senior management and external partners. The incumbent must keep a balance between operational implementation efficiencies and policy/rules requirements, but also contribute towards long-term solutions by leading the development and improvement of policies and processes for efficient project implementation. The incumbent must be able to develop new policies or projects approaches but also assess the quality of deliverables. The incumbent will undertake a number of core functions, including reviewing UNOPS documents where such advice is required, and managing disputes brought against the organization by contractors and third parties.
Summary of Key Functions
- Review and draft agreements with vendors, clients and other partners;
- Review, draft and advise on global agreements with new and existing funding sources;
- Under the guidance of the Corporate Legal Advisor, provide legal advice on the application of UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations, in particular related to procurement and contracting;
- Review bid protests, liaise with the relevant offices, lead the formulation of responses to bid protestors;
- Analyze disputes and claims related to procurement and service contracts;
- Review documents submitted to the Engagement Acceptance Committee as requested by the Corporate Legal Advisor;
- Advise on the development and implementation of the framework for delegations of authority, including on the development of related policies and the correct use of such authority by UNOPS personnel;
- Assist with the development and improvement of UNOPS legislative framework;
- Assist with due diligence processes conducted on prospective partners, devise new tools to address UNOPS’ needs;
- Support the implementation of UNOPS standards and coordination and review of audit responses;
- Support the organization of training for UNOPS personnel on legal-related topics;
- Perform other tasks as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in law with 2 years of relevant experience.
- Relevant experience is defined as experience as a lawyer/counselor in commercial or international law, including legal analysis, advice, research or drafting of legal texts.
- Experience in conducting or advising on issues relating to public procurement is desired;
- Experience in reviewing bid protest is desired;
- Experience in the pharmaceutical sector is desired;
- Fluency in English and Spanish (reading, speaking and reading) is required.
- Knowledge of French is desirable.