OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The Programme of Information Management and Dissemination (IMD) has the mission of supporting the production, management and dissemination of relevant knowledge for public health and promotion of equitable access of knowledge and information for decision making. Networking with external institutions, and areas within the Organization, the programme fosters sharing of tacit and explicit knowledge. It also includes centralization of all types and forms of WHO SEARO information products and ensure that it reach out to internal and external institutes.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the direction and supervision of Senior Adviser (AMR, Documentation and Publications), the incumbent shall perform the following duties:
- Applies National Library of Medicine (NLM) cataloguing and classification, bibliographic standards and related IT standards for developing and maintaining the library's catalogue and data files of the integrated library system.
- Provides document delivery services for WHO Staff and HELLIS Network libraries through the Document Delivery System Software, maintains deposit accounts for document delivery requests.
- Assists Senior Adviser (AMR, Documentation and Publications) in development and implementation of biennial workplan keeping in mind the future plans of the unit as well as the organization. Act as the focal point in IMD for taking GSM actions related to the unit activities including submission of programme changes and expenditure batches as and when required.
- Process the procurement of books and journals as per the requests received from technical units after reviewing their availability in the network. Reviews and processes invoices for payment of publications acquired; monitors and submit monthly reports generated by GSM to the supervisor.
- Assists in updating the electronic library collection of books and journals and updates the same in Library Catalogue. Maintain and update the SEARO Library Website.
- Provides reference services by utilizing available information from Internet and external resources in every type and format of information including full text, image and bibliographic data relevant to specific user requests.
- Provides "Current Awareness Services" and "Table of Contents (TOC) Alert Services" through electronic mail alert and maintain/update mailing list of the alert services.
- Creates, maintains and updates metadata in every type of format of SEAR information products into SEAR Instructional repository including assignment of Medical Subject Heading (MeSH) to each product in repository in accordance with the HQ guidelines.
- Assign unique numbers of ISBN (International Standard Book Number) in collaboration with technical units at Regional and Country Offices.
- Assists in carrying out literature research and retrieval of information relevant to user request by analyzing their needs, utilizing the collections and selecting and managing internal and external database services, other available sources/systems and knowledge of the Organization to provide the needed research service in coordination with ICT.
- Interacts with and advises technical units at Regional and Country Offices on reference verification using WHO style guide.
- Receives global and regional governing bodies documents and ensures their appropriate circulation. Assists Senior Adviser (AMR, Documentation and Publications) in management, distribution and display of publications during the Regional Committee meetings.
- Assists Senior Adviser (AMR, Documentation and Publications) for briefing of new SEARO staff and Country office Focal Points on Global Information Full Text (GIFT) and access to PUBMED database.
- Assists Senior Adviser (AMR, Documentation and Publications) in troubleshooting for Health Internetwork Access to Research Initiative (HINARI) in coordination with the Country office focal points.
- Updates the electronic Publication Distribution System for documents and publications produced by SEAR.
- Updates the Institutional Repository for Information Sharing (IRIS) for information related to Governing Bodies, Policy and technical documents such as Regional Committee, ACHR, etc as per HQ guidelines. Ensure the complete retrospective conversion of these information products from paper into electronic format since 1948 to date.
- Provides Administrative support to Senior Adviser (AMR, Documentation and Publications) preparation and publishing of the WHO South-East Asia Journal of Public Health (bi-annual publication).
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned.
- Essential: Secondary School education
- Desirable: Specialization/Certificate in health sciences librarianship and/or training in administrative field including knowledge of GSM, workplan management, procurement and database/information management
- Essential: Progressive experience of 8 years in secretarial, administrative and financial work.
- Desirable: Experience in WHO/UN, Working knowledge of GSM, procurement and Database/information management.
Thorough knowledge of WHO procedures, practices, etc. with good knowledge or organizational structure of WHO; - Ability to draft clearly and concisely correspondence with Member States - Ability to handle work in a timely and accurate manner; - Ability to maintain and update knowledge in the use of office technology through in-house courses, on-the-job training and/or self-training.Good communication, public relations and interpersonal skills. . -ability to work independently,consulting as necessary with supervisors -Knowledge of WHO procedures.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Moving forward in a changing environment
- Knowing and managing yourself
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.