Purpose of Position
Provide strategic technical expertise, leadership and coordination for the successful design, rollout, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Livelihood and Resilience aspects of the Child Learning and Household Resilience (CL & HHR) Technical Program interventions aimed at sustained food security and economic empowerment of households and communities to ensure improved wellbeing outcomes of children in Kenya as guided by National Office Strategy for FY21 - 25, the CL & HHR Technical Program and the project Core Models and Approaches.
Technical support in Program design and Quality Assurance 30%
- Provide effective and innovative technical leadership in the CL & HHR Technical Program towards the design and implementation of interventions focusing on Household Food & Nutrition Security, economic empowerment and Building of Secure livelihoods for vulnerable Households
- Participate in the development and review of National Strategy and Technical Programs and ensure L & R is well articulated in the CL & HHR Technical Program and utilized to implement NO Strategy
- Develop and disseminate detailed plans and guidelines that will support delivery of the CL & HHR objectives throughout the strategy period appreciating the unique contexts where the TP will be implemented.
- Provide effective technical support to field project teams on roll out of World Vision Partnership and other recognized and approved Livelihood and Resilience models and approaches (such as BSL, S4T, UPG, CBDRM etc)
- Coordinate as applicable sector integration interventions for ensuring integrated L&R implementation with other TPs at NO and field level.
- Ensure that business processes, standards and guidelines related to Livelihood & resilience initiatives are effectively applied by field programs
Program Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, Learning, Research and Innovation 20%
- Provide technical linkages and implementation of innovations related to the TP models both with National and Regional Level Governments, public and private partners
- Participate/Support CL & HHR TP adaptation processes, Program assessments, planning, implementation, monitoring & evaluation, documentation and dissemination of promising practices
- Ensure interpretation and utilization of assessment, baselines, evaluations and verification on quality of designs
- Ensure development of standardized monitoring tools including Project Models such as Savings Groups MIS in are in use with appropriate feedback
- Ensure regions and programs develop high quality integrated CL & HHR projects through conceptualization, innovation, development and planning
- Ensure WVK and Vision-Fund Kenya (VFK) Integration Strategic Guidance is in place and in use at all levels by contextualizing the WVK–VFK Integration Strategic Guidance and partnering with VFK in its roll out of activities
- Gather data at National level for reporting on L & R (MMR, Semi-Annual, Annual Reports, WVK annual TP Report)
- Coordinate and participate in regular learning forums to profile, communicate and ensure adoption of promising L & R practices
- Participate in joint program monitoring visits with key partners to track and document program progress in the targeted program sites.
- Ensure the feedback from monitoring exercises feeds into the working of relevant technical working groups within the Program counties.
- Support quality reviews of program reports and core documents as per WVK guidelines and donor standards.
- In liaison with communications team, develop context specific electronic and live media communications on livelihood and market related activities.
- Support development of technical papers and or policy briefs on key issues for external engagement with decision makers
- Design/Coordinate/participate in L & R operational research, documentation, publication and dissemination of useful research findings
- Identify capacity gaps in L & R to inform the National level staff capacity development strategy
- Ensure skills and capacity development for staff and partners in L & R strategies, models and approaches.
Program Development and Resource Acquisition 20%
- Technically support Resource Acquisition & Management (RAM) team to develop proposals/concepts to prospective donors and SOs for L & R Projects in general as per the yearly set targets
- Participate in Go-No Go Processes, write ups, meeting with prospective donors and submission of concepts/proposals
- Physically present/defend L & R Proposals to donors in coordination with RAM when required
- Respond effectively to calls and queries by donors and SOs on L & R Concepts/Proposals in coordination with RAM
- Develop Sector Specific Job Descriptions for technical staff in liaison with People & Culture
- Develop quality and coherent L & R capacity statements, documentation of innovations/best practices for donor and partner’s engagement and marketing
Collaboration and Advocacy 15%
- Lead in development and utilization of MOUs / working agreements with sector strategic, funding and program/project implementation partners
- Ensure Linkage with World Vision EARO and World Vision GC Resilience & Livelihoods Initiatives/forums for continued backstopping to enable quality programming within WVK
- Establish and maintain strategic contacts with the UN, Government, INGOs, Universities, Research Institutions, Donors and Embassies
- Ensure WVK representation in key strategic L & R Sector Working Groups and Forums
- Ensure mainstreaming of advocacy in all L & R programs/projects
- Ensure WVK participation in key International Days such as Nairobi Trade Fair, International Day for Poverty Eradication, World Food Day etc
- Gather and provide quality feedback and data to be used to develop technical papers and recommendations on key issues for external engagement with decision makers
- Support advocacy efforts to influence County Governments’ Planning and Budgeting processes and resource allocation to the priority needs within the sector
- Ensure active engagement on policy at County and National level on issues to do with the food and nutrition security and sustainable use of natural resources
- Coordinate reflection and learning forums for staff and partners for purposes of providing forums for experiential learning & reflection.
- Build capacity of field staff on advocacy to engage service providers and participate in forums relating to sustainable and secure livelihood interventions
- Participate in joint technical coordination, planning and review of all L & R initiatives at NO level
Team Management 10%
- Model a high standard of personal Christian leadership, ministry and integrity through lifestyle and work relationships that support spiritual development of the team.
- In close collaboration with P&C, ensure right program staff are recruited, retained, and provided with intentional opportunities, mentoring and coaching for development.
- Assess and plan for staff capacities/competencies.
- Engage appropriate Subject Matter Experts for identified training gaps
- Facilitate capacity building of staff on technical modules, through trainings, workshops, On the Job Training, technical backstopping etc.
- Staff supervision and guidance to ensure overall quality and comprehensive management of technical program
- Carry out any duties that may be assigned from time to time by the supervisor
- Participate and contribute in committees and task forces as may be signed from time to time
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy, Horticulture, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness Management, Agriculture Extension, Dryland Agriculture or a closely related field from a recognized University
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in designing, planning, implementing and reporting on integrated Livelihood and Resilience Programs covering Economic Development, Agriculture & Food security, Natural Resource Management, Relief and/or advocacy programs and projects
- Demonstrated track record in proposal development, funding acquisitions and grant management for major government donors preferred
- Good understanding of the international development trends and approaches at both national and global levels
- Must possess good understanding, knowledge and experience of WVI global core L & R project models including Building Secure Livelihoods (BSL), UPG, S4T, Empowered World View, Community Based Disaster Risk Management and Conflict Sensitive Programming initiatives
- Computer literate especially in Microsoft Office Suite and basic knowledge of data analysis programs such as SPSS, Stata, EPI Info and use of GIS for socio-economic mapping
- Relevant Post graduate qualification(s) will be an added advantage
- Excellent technical programming and management skills and a good understanding of the entire program/project life cycle
- Must have good facilitation skills and ability to deliver staff and partner capacity building (training, coaching and mentorship) on relevant technical fields including roll out of CPMs
- Ability to take initiative, solve complex problems, exercise independent judgment
- A team player, capable of building staff and partner’s capacity in Livelihoods & Resilience
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and emotional maturity
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts
- Strong budgetary and financial management skills.
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills with leadership & management experience an added advantage
- Should be a self-starter, able to work under minimum supervision and maintain good relationships
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, networking and representation skills with experience in public engagements