DRC began operating in Kenya in 2005 with assistance to refugees and displacement-affected communities via implementation of protection and livelihoods activities. DRC works in Dadaab and Kakuma refugee camps, as well as in Nairobi to assist urban-based refugees, and in Mandera County implementing a cross-border resilience programme DRC is the lead agency in a consortium of 4 agencies implementing the project in Mandera County of Kenya, Dollo Ado Region of Ethiopia and Gedo Region of Somalia. The project began in December 2017, and DRC Kenya is recruiting a new team to implement key Livelihoods activities across Mandera County.
DRC is looking for a qualified individual with experience in Livelihoods programming in Mandera, working under the Livelihoods Officer responsible for activities in Village Savings and Loans (VSLA) and other formal and informal financial support, with a strong understanding of market systems. The project aims to link with cross-border markets in Dollo-Ado region of Ethiopia and Gedo region of Somalia, and to specifically target women and youth (male and female). Applications from qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged.
- Programme Management, Development, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Identification of community members to benefit from VSLA and other formal/informal financial support activities as outlined in project documents, and ensure relevant monitoring is done throughout the project.
- Develop relevant training manuals and practices for target beneficiaries and lead in facilitating training
- Ensure all VSLA beneficiaries are properly mentored and supported throughout the project.
- Ensure that all project documentation is in place.
- Participate in periodic project review and planning meetings; and external meetings as often as requested by the Livelihoods Manager.
- Ensure project staff adhere to CHS Principles in day to day project implementation; participate in CHS audits; support in implementing the M&E plan.
- Assist in developing livelihoods concept notes and proposals.
- Coordinate field reporting: prepare technical internal and external reports.
Coordination & Partnership
- Support the consortium members and DRC Kenya Livelihoods Manager to ensure effective liaison with stake holders and relevant Government of Kenya departments, from the location to divisional levels, as needed.
- Promote collaboration and synergy between DRC, DDG, BORESHA consortium members, EUTF Lot 1 partners, local authorities, local communities and other agency interventions.
- Draft spending plans, procurement plans, and work plans based on activities and budgets.
- Liaise closely with Finance colleagues in the management of the livelihood activity budgets.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Fluency in Somali is essential.
- Must have a degree in Agribusiness Management, Agricultural Economics, Entrepreneurship, Business Administration, or other livelihoods related disciplines and/or a minimum 2 years’ experience setting up and implementing livelihoods or income generating projects preferably with an NGO. Experience in Mandera County is strongly preferred.
- Proven understanding of microenterprise / small business development and VSLA / Groups Savings and Loan approaches.
- Skills or training in basic book keeping or financial literacy is desirable
- Prior experience working with local governments and stakeholders in implementation of projects, including hands-on community mobilization skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; well organized, and able to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Working knowledge of MS Office and other relevant computer applications,
- Able to adapt to changing program priorities and emergency priorities that may arise. Good planning and organizational skills coupled with problem solving capabilities.
- Strong self-starter, able to take the initiative and pro-active in identifying gaps and solutions to respond to needs.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 4 years’ demonstrable working experience at field implementation level as an officer and/or assistant.
- Experience in designing projects and programmes, developing networks & partnerships and representation
- Cultural sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish working relations with local partners and other stakeholders
- Excellent in the use of MS Office Suite, email and internet
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Business Administration, Development Studies, Sociology, Community Development, Agriculture or Agribusiness Management.
- Certificates in Entrepreneurship, Value-chains, Savings Groups, MIS for Savings Groups, Agriculture, Management/Leadership).
- Fluency in written and spoken English essential
Key stakeholders: Internal & External:
- Project and Programme Staff,
- Partner development Agencies
- Protection Department within DRC
- Beneficiaries and community leaders
- County and National Government officials