UNHCR, Budapest, Hungary
Closing Date for Applications:
- This Job Opening is available to eligible UNHCR staff members and external applicants.
- Candidates must be legally present in Hungary at the time of application, recruitment and hire.
Procedures and Eligibility
- Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
- Please note that this is a Temporary Appointment until 31 December 2021.
Duties and Qualifications
- Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- UNHCR delivers timely and quality goods and services to Persons of Concern (POC) in compliance with supply chain rules and procedures.
- The Logistics Associate manages and supports all activities pertaining to the logistics function including planning, sourcing & procurement, transport, shipments tracking, customs clearance, warehousing. The position may be located at Headquarters (within DESS), in a Regional Bureau or in a Country Office.
- The incumbent is supervised by the (Senior) Logistics Officer or other senior staff with logistics oversight function who defines the objectives and provides general guidance.
- The Logistics Associate maintains regular contact on a working level on routine issues with other UNHCR offices, UN agencies, NGOs, government partners and commercial contractors in the area to facilitate performing the logistics function. The duty of the incumbent is to support and monitor the logistical activities assigned to him/her within the geographical area covered while exercising efficiency in the use of the available resources.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- In compliance with supply chain rules and procedures, support the related logistics activities to facilitate UNHCR end to end processes resulting in a timely and quality delivery of goods and services to POC.
- Draft plans for delivery of relief and other non-food items according to the operational needs and provide regular updates.
- Plan and oversee UNHCR's emergency airlifts, sea and road transport arrangements.
- Process all requests for CRIs from the GSM network in a timely and cost-effective manner to ensure that SLS is able to mobilise the CRIs from the GSM network to the requesting Operation, maintaining the 72-hour deadline.
- Apply UNHCR's sourcing & procurement strategy when planning for purchase of important commodities and services.
- Coordinate with the freight forwarders to ensure timely customs clearance of consignments, smooth delivery and receiving of relief and other non-food items ordered. In case of damages, ensure responsibilities are defined and necessary claims are settled.
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive records on logistical activities and provide timely reports and updates both periodically and on request.
- Evaluate purchase requisitions to ensure that specifications, delivery dates and all other requirements are in order.
- Draft and dispatch quotation requests conduct secondary solicitation and/or tenders and assist in the evaluation of offers when required.
- Contribute to the performance evaluation of goods/ services providers and coordinate with the contracts administrator for its extension when required.
- Prepare Purchase Orders and send confirmations, requests for inspection and other correspondence, and monitor the manufacture/transport of ordered goods to ensure timely delivery.
- Support warehouse management, and assist with planning of goods deliveries, and provide information on the status of requests and the availability of items in the supply chain.
- Monitor the quality and accuracy of supply chain related data in relevant business systems. Compile and analyse statistical information, identify trends and developments in supply chain related matters that will assist in decision making.
- Contribute to the Key Performance Indicators (KPI) evaluation for logistics services.
- Assist the supervisor in identifying organizational and procedural gaps in the present arrangements for release and transportation of CRIs and propose further improvements to enhance the process.
- Prepare and disseminate quarterly and annual statistical reports including weekly update to all stakeholders.
- Verify bills/invoices for payments against POs to ensure accuracy in the claim.
- Coordinate with Emergency Supply Unit, freight forwarders, and emergency operations for the release of the relief items.
- Coordinate with Emergency Supply Unit and other units in SLS regarding the replenishment of the stock and relief items.
In the Regional Bureaux:
- Assist in the consolidation of the current warehouse structure and perform monthly reconciliation of the stock.
- Track global logistics KPIs for the region and assist in devising regional ones, as required.
- Monitor all periodic supply exercises such as monthly reconciliations, quarterly physical inventory exercises, and year-end accounts closure procedures and ensure that they are implemented throughout the region and provide relevant reports to senior managers.
- Assist Country Operations in MSRP management.
- Support the country needs assessment plans and assist in combining them into regional procurement plans and monitor their timely implementation and changes based on operational needs.
- Support the work of the Regional Bureaux whenever required.
In the Country Operations:
- Ensure local liaison with partners to effectively support the logistical activities.
- Initiate and/or coordinate tax exemption of consignments, import customs clearance (when applicable) and liaise with local agent(s)/focal point(s) to ensure exemptions, permits etc. are obtained in a timely manner.
- Provide support in fleet management tasks whenever required.
- Manage receipts and storage of goods according to "best practices" and UNHCR rules and regulations.
- Coordinate logistics activities of UNHCR partners and/or contractors performing supply related activities and ensure that they understand and adhere to relevant UNHCR rules and procedures.
- Implement effective asset and fleet management that regularly monitors the asset/fleet pool, saves cost and safeguards the investment of the Organisation including receipt, inspection, registration & marking of new Property, Plant and Equipment (PPE), organisation of the physical verification of PPE.
- Ensure that PPE agreements are properly issued and signed, prepare disposal forms and cases for the Asset Management Board, and organise the disposal of PPE according to Asset Management Board decisions.
- Establish a stock management system.
- Assist in the coordination of and reporting on the deployment of Non-Expendable Property.
- Ensure stock inventory in MSRP is updated.
- Ensure that safety and security of stocks is maintained throughout the warehouse cycle.
- Decide on applicable internal system to ensure systematic conduct of warehousing processes.
- Exercise regular stock checking including record of goods going in and out.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Education & Professional Work Experience
- Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For G6 - 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Logistics Business Administration Supply Management
Economics Finance Commerce
Information Technology Supply Chain Learning Programme or any other relevant field
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Logistics, Supply Chain Management and/or relevant experience
- Experience in dealing with Emergencies is of high advantage
- Other UN procurement and logistics training - such as IAPSO and UNPD.
- Experience in commercial air charter operations.
- Experience in customs formalities.
- IT-Computer literacy
- IT-PeopleSoft Supply Chain Management
- SC-Supply Planning
- SC-Public procurement
- SC-Customs clearance
- SC-Warehouse Management
- SC-Asset Management
- SC-Fleet Management
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.