Role & Responsibilities
Oversee the provision of the logistical support for the programme during the final phases of programme reduction. Is responsible for ensuring an effective supply chain is in place at all times, and that standard logistics and related administrative systems are implemented within Medair country programme. The role provides strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of logistics, ensuring relevant information, reporting and accountability requirements are met. Also plays an important role in external representation, legal compliance, team leadership and capacity building of logistics staff. This specific role will oversee the planning and closure of several field offices over a period of several months. They will be required to lead the logistics team and project manage field a number of site closures, ensuring assets and supplies are accounted for and disposed of according to Medair policies and donor’s guidelines.
Medair’s programme in Iraq has been delivering assistance to Iraqi IDPs, returnees and host communities in Dohuk, Ninewa, Kirkuk and Salah-al-Din governorates. Projects include the sectors Health, WASH, Shelter and NFI Assistance, Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance.
Key Activity Areas
Logistics Management – Supply chain
- Manage the procurement process, including medical procurement, in accordance with Medair policies and procedures, in a transparent, accountable, efficient and cost effective manner.
- Provide planning support and advice to project managers and others making procurement requests, identify optimum supply routes, and maintain continuous overview of supply needs by providing updated procurement and fulfilment plans in alignment with project activity plans and timelines.
- Ensure that local market surveys are regularly carried out, to ensure a full knowledge of the availability and price of local items.
Logistics Management – Resources
- Ensure the management of vehicle fleet is in line with Medair standards. Ensure usage of fuel is correctly supervised, logged and recorded. Liaise with security personnel on security-related transport issues, such as booking in / out, Satellite communications, radios etc.
- Supervise and coordinate all types of equipment and assets including communication, IT and power, to ensure that equipment are managed diligently, operated in the most cost efficient manner, and maintained appropriately. Management of equipment will include procurement, registration, allocation, tracking, maintenance, repair, replacement and reporting as well as training, authorisation, supervision and co-ordination with field bases to ensure optimum availability, usage and accountability.
- Support the proper management of field bases, establishment of new ones and closing of existing ones.
- Implement and update logistics aspects of security plan to ensure resources and facilities are ready at all times for either hibernation or evacuation.
- Ensure regular backups are done for all computers throughout the programme and that virus updates and routine computer maintenance is carried out.
- Represent Medair in a professional manner contributing to the continuation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, through the application of Medair’s mandate, ethics and values.
- Proactively engage with suppliers, partners, local authorities, other NGOs, clusters and any other stakeholders, in order to plan, organize, and schedule distribution of goods and material.
- Staff Management
- Manage staff with integrity and foresight, and in accordance with HR procedures and policies to ensure that they maintain the highest standards of accountability and professionalism.
- Ensure that all logistics and relevant programme staff are adequately trained and, if necessary, create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching.
- Review, develop and implement systems to improve transparency.
- Ensure adequate anti-fraud procedures are in place to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud.
- Ensure projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
- This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Certification in Medical Logistics. Security training.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Minimum one year logistics and management experience in emergency and / or development context.
- Experience of budget management and the ability to prepare complete and accurate financial reports.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferably in the logistics sector.
- Advanced planning, coordination, assessment, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Technical understanding of mechanical and communication equipment.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Strong organisational abilities, excellent written and verbal communication skills.