Market/Value Chain Economist
CIMMYT, Mexico City, Mexico
Closing Date for Applications:
The main responsibilities of this position will be:
- Assess wheat markets and value chains in selected African and Asian geographies (including country case studies and regional/global linkages) and translate these into R4D priorities and implications.
- Assess relevant market segments, both for inputs (especially seed and complementary inputs) and outputs (inclalternate uses and agro-processing), including major drivers of change for current and future wheat needs to inform R4D investments and policy.
- Assess prospects to boost wheat production in Africa by developing wheat markets and value chains, particularly in Sub-Saharan Africa beyond Ethiopia and South Africa, with a focus on smallholders’ potential to produce wheat as a cash crop to meet the growing wheat demand and substitute imports.
- Build an exciting strategic R4D portfolio around wheat markets and value chains in Africa and Asia, including analytical tools; technological and institutional innovations; business models and development strategies.
- Strengthen socioeconomics research on wheat particularly in Africa through networking, coordination, capacity building and resource mobilization.
- Publish findings in international peer reviewed journals.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualifications:
- PhD in agricultural/development economics, or a related field from a recognized institution.
- At least 6 years of relevant experience in applied agricultural R4D in developing countries, preferably with experience in Africa.
- Good partnership and interpersonal skills and team player, including ability to work with different nationalities, disciplines and educational levels, as a member of a diverse work team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- A high degree of personal organization and the ability to multi-task and work under pressure, as well as travel extensively.
- Established publication record in international peer reviewed journals.
- The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of 3 years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
- CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
- To apply for this position, please email cover letter and CV to Human Resources, CIMMYT (Email: email@example.com / Please indicate position reference number: 15815 in the header of your email). Screening and follow up of applications will start on Tuesday, 31 March 2015. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- In your application, please specify where you saw this position advertised. For further information on the selection process, please contact Esther Mendoza Ramos, at firstname.lastname@example.org