On June 1, 2020, the eleventh Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) epidemic was declared in the Wangata Health Zone, south of the city of Mbandaka, capital of Equateur Province, in the Democratic Republic of Congo. .
In order to analyze the situation and respond to this epidemic, an ALIMA team carried out a first rapid assessment and carried out a more in-depth assessment on 05 June. Subsequently, an intervention team was deployed to meet the growing needs.
As a first step, ALIMA built and managed a CTI (Integrated Transit Center) in Ipeko, which received its first patient on July 17. Next, ALIMA set up a second CTI in Ingende, focusing on community-based surveillance and awareness. The CTI has been operational since August 13, 2020 and as of August 30, 2020, 28 patients have been admitted, including 1 confirmed case and 16 negative cases.
By working as close as possible to the communities, ALIMA's overall strategy to respond to this new epidemic is to focus on breaking the chain of transmission by reducing the time between the onset of symptoms and admission to a treatment center. transit.
TYPE OF POSITION
- The medical coordinator ensures the relevance and quality of care for the Ebola Emergency project. He / she coordinates the implementation and represents ALIMA with the national medical authorities and other health actors acting in the country.
FUNCTIONAL AND HIERARCHICAL LINKS
- He / she reports to the Emergency Coordinator.
- He / she works in collaboration with the other members of the coordination (Logistics Coordinator, Finance and Human Resources Coordinator, WASH Coordinator). He / she supervises the Referral Doctors and the epidemiologist.
- He / she collaborates with the teams of the Congolese Ministry of Health, INRB, WHO and other medical actors (NGOs in particular) existing in the area and working particularly in the field of the fight against the Ebola Virus Disease.
MAIN MISSIONS AND ACTIVITIES
- Activity monitoring and definition of objectives
Describes and analyzes its activity in its environment:
- Ensure that the tools necessary for data collection are available in the field and ensure their compilation;
- Learn about data related to the fight against Ebola at the level of the province of Equateur and the country and communicate them to other members of the coordination;
- Ensures the analysis of the data collected and guides medical activities according to the conclusions of these analyzes;
- Writes medical activity reports;
- Participate in discussions on the conduct of projects, the mission and the definition of objectives;
- Eventually decides with the other members of the coordination, plans, and participates in exploratory missions and proposes new strategies if necessary.
- Defines the training necessary for medical teams so that they can achieve their objectives: pharmacy management, various Ebola management protocols used at the CTE (case definitions, triage and alert management, contact tracing, safe transport of patients, management of bodies, etc.), protection of ALIMA employees;
- Ensures compliance with treatment protocols recommended by the Ministry of Health and internationally;
- Prepares the medical order with the pharmacist for the activities carried out in the project and validates this order;
Defines the staff health policy on the mission:
- Provide medical briefing for international staff and ensure the communication of useful information to national staff;
- Identify reference centers for the care of national and international staff;
- Organize the validation of medical expenses for employees;
- Sets up the medical evacuation procedure for employees;
- Validate all medical evacuations with the medical referent at ALIMA headquarters;
- Regularly assesses the sanitary conditions in the workplaces and in the living bases and makes improvements if necessary in order to ensure that the living conditions are compatible with the preservation of a good state of health.
- Ensures compliance with medical confidentiality;
- Keeps the various medical protocols up to date, shares them with the rest of the team and health workers. He supports the medical teams in defining and drafting new medical protocols if necessary.
Human resources management
Composition of teams.
- Defines the necessary positions with regard to the activity and establishes the job descriptions in collaboration with the field teams if concerned;
- Organizes and participates in the recruitment of personnel in the activity for which he is responsible (with the support of the Finance and HR Coordinator);
- Defines the training needs with the medical advisers and the CTE manager.
Supervision of teams.
- Centralizes medical information and feeds it back to the rest of the coordination, to the CTE manager and to the medical referents;
- Organizes the flow of information within the medical team;
- Defines the needs for continuing training and supervision of medical and paramedical staff with medical advisers and provides them with the means to provide this training;
- Ensures with the medical referents the planning and the realization of the trainings: the proposal, their organization, their evaluation and capitalization;
- Evaluates the work of those responsible for activities in the medical field.
- Defines medical education needs for team members and for himself. May be called upon to provide support in training projects.
Relations and communication
- Regularly informs the coordination team of the evolution of the situation and gives medical feedback (activities, statistics, impact on the functioning of health centers);
- With the emergency coordinator, is in contact with his medical counterparts from other NGOs or associations.
EXPERIENCES AND SKILLS
- Medical degree
- Specialization in Public Health or Tropical Medicine appreciated
- Several conclusive experiences in medical coordination in a recognized international organization
- Experience in emergency response projects, an asset.
- Ebola experience is an asset
Qualifications of the candidate:
- Strong knowledge in the management of health services in developing countries and in health economics
- Experience in team management and supervision
- Autonomy and rapid decision-making at the medical level
- Understanding of issues related to NGO emergency response
- Knowledge of the different phases and obligations related to project management
- Good resistance to stress and a good understanding of risky environments
- Computer and statistical knowledge.
- Fluency in French essential
- English and Lingala are assets.