Migration Technical Specialist
International Organization for Migration, Costa Rica
Closing Date for Applications:
Organizational Context and Scope
- Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
- The Western Hemisphere Migration Capacity-Building Program, funded by the United States Department of State, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM), seeks to improve the capacities of States in Central America, Mexico, and the Caribbean to govern migration humanely and sustainably. The Programme has four pillars: 1) migration management, 2) regional dialogue, and partnerships, 3) crisis response and 4) communication for development.
- Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and direct supervision of the Regional Project Coordinator of the Program, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provide technical and content support to products and activities of the regional coordination of the program and of all member countries.
- Advise, support and monitor the execution of the program at the regional and national level.
- Draft guiding documents such as terms of reference and conceptual notes for the technical planning and execution of the different activities.
- Technically review the various products of the Program, giving close monitoring and technical supervision to consultants hired for this purpose, and to the Program staff who require it.
- Design and execute high-quality, comprehensive and sustainable training processes aimed at institutions and social organizations, and other relevant actors, to promote coordinated efforts to improve migration management, with special emphasis on issues of migrant protection, vulnerable migrants, trafficking in persons, migrant smuggling and other related issues. References should be the international and IOM frameworks and instruments in migration management.
- Promote the adoption, application, and monitoring of the gender and human rights perspective in the design and implementation of the Program's activities, and in general international commitments on migration.
- Collaborate with the drafting of technical content and distribution of communication and information materials related to the Program activities, including the updating of existing internet resources or intranet sites, as appropriate.
- Provide support to the Regional Program Coordinator and Sub-regional Coordinators, in the design, programming, implementation and monitoring of the Project's regional activities.
- Prepare and implement a monthly work plan for regional activities and carry out the corresponding follow-up actions.
- Support the monitoring of the work plans of the teams in the different countries implementing the Program.
- Collaborate in the preparation of intermediate, final and ad-hoc technical reports.
- Support in the development and management of international cooperation projects related to the impact areas of the program and aimed at achieving its strengthening, continuity and sustainability.
- Undertake duty travelling.
- Perform such other duties
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Professional in social sciences, law, international or related relations, preferably with a postgraduate degree.
- At least three years of experience in technical advisory or coordination positions, preferably at the regional level.
- Experience in consultation and participation with communities, government authorities and multidisciplinary teams of professionals.
- Excellent knowledge of migration issues.
- Knowledge and professional experience in the following areas: b) vulnerable migrants with protection needs; c) trafficking in persons and smuggling of migrants; d) promotion of rights, especially of vulnerable groups, e) migrant children.
- High ability to manage various topics and coordinate multiple projects.
- Experience in pedagogical activities and development of training curriculum.
- Good adaptability, versatility and working under pressure abilities
- Required (specify the required knowledge)
- Spanish and English (fluent)
- Other IOM official language