With the increase use of Technology, data collection, processing, storage, sharing and analysis become essential part of NRC Myanmar work. It is most important to keep data safe and prevent data misuses. As NRC’s vision is “Rights respected. People protected”, protecting beneficiaries’ data is a must-to-do. The main objective of the position is to establish and maintain a system that prevent data being used and shared inappropriately to keep people and their data safe and prevent misuse and mishandling leading to harm.
Role and responsibilities
The following is a brief description of the role.
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures;
- Collaboration with programme staff, M&E Accountability staff and ICT officer;
- Work with the Specialists, Consultants and M&E Manager in the domains of Digital Portfolio development, Data Risk Assessment, Data Lifecycle, Privacy Notice, Anonymity and Secure Information Transfer;
- Support in ensuring an effective data management system through data quality check, analysis and learning session;
- Conduct the training and awareness raising on the importance of data rights for all NRC MM staffs
- Support the M&E Manager in preparing data protection part of M&E reports for internal and external purposes;
- Review new/adjusting current data collection methodologies and tools from the data protection perspective;
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvements;
- Promote the rights of IDPs/refugees/returnees in line with the data protection strategy.
- Ensure that NRC developed apps and digital tools are secure, do not enable risky behaviour and to ensure they don’t violate data rights.
- Periodically, conduct digital risk assessment to ensure proper safeguards in place for all activities using tech;
- Develop a responsible data lifecycle which describe how to keep data safe and recognize risks;
- Establish clear data use and storage timelines;
- Ensure all the digital interfaces include the data privacy notice that informs uses about the data collection and it use as well as data rights;
- Ensure there is no sensitive personal data in the reporting, data sharing and coordination activities;
- Ensure the data is transferred or shared securely in line with NRC data protection policy;
- Support capacity building for programme staff on Data Protection Policy;
- Support in drafting Data protection plans, in addition to ongoing M&E plan;
- Support the M&E Manager and Specialists in digital risk analysis, and producing reports;
- Work closely with M&E team to enhance compiled lessons learnt for data protection issues;
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the line and/or technical manager.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- M&E Manager
- Head of Program, Specialists, Advisors and Consultants for digital portfolio
- CC Project Managers, Coordinators, and Team Leaders
- Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following three categories:
- These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Previous experiences with data protection (data privacy and data security) and ability to learn and understand digital interfaces;
- Good knowledge of data protection principles, international standards, data tech and systems;
- Understanding of data and information needs for programme management and decision making;
- Excellent English language both written and verbal skills;