Assisting 91.4 million people in 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
As the international community has committed to end hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition by 2030, one in nine people worldwide still do not have enough to eat. Food and food-related assistance lie at the heart of the struggle to break the cycle of hunger and poverty.
In Lebanon, WFP works to support approximately 700,000 people with regular assistance using e-cards. WFP also supports Lebanese schools with school meals and has run over 300 development activities which include supporting rural infrastructure, as well as education and training opportunities for vulnerable individuals in families. WFP also supports Lebanon’s National Poverty Targeting Program (NPTP).
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The post is based in Beirut CO and the incumbent is to report to the NOB M&E officer.
The M&E officer is expected to manage the development and implementation of Monitoring, Review and Evaluation Plans aligned to WFP corporate standards to generate quality evidence on the lives of beneficiaries and inform policy, strategy and programme design and implementation. This includes coordinating monitoring activities, managing or supporting the management of decentralized evaluations, supporting thematic/mid-term reviews and positioning WFP as a reliable partner for government of Lebanon and WFP’s partners to build monitoring and evaluation strategies.
Under the supervision of M&E officer, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
- Contribute to evidence-based decision-making on programme design and implementation, notably through making monitoring, review and evaluations findings accessible, developing innovative, user-friendly and informative products.
- Support line manager in ensuring that CO monitoring systems and tools are in place and compliant with corporate standards including the minimum monitoring requirements (MMR), standard operational procedures (SOP) and establishment of baselines and targets in alignment with the updated corporate results framework (CRF).
- Lead on the monitoring activities of the livelihoods programme under WFP Lebanon portfolio to ensure proper implementation of activities.
- Thorough follow-up on field activities and monitoring initiatives on daily basis. Ensure the technical support of field offices in executing M&E related tasks;
- Produce regular reports to show case the results of the monitoring.
- Support M&E team in generating and addressing recommendations from monitoring, reviews and evaluations to ensure that follow-up actions are taken as required.
- Contribute to building M&E capacity of WFP staff, government and partners through training and information sharing as necessary;
- Draft regular monitoring reports on status of results and implementation progress and contribute to the data analysis;
- Support the development of M&E guidance materials, tutorials and training materials for CO and FO staff and partners;
- Other support activities as necessary.
Desired experiences for entry into the role:
- Previous experience in humanitarian or development contexts.
- Good experience in coordination and follow-up.
- Very good analytical and writing skills.
- Good experience utilizing statistical processing tools such as SPSS, “R” and/or STATA.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of several statistical tools and methods for vulnerability analysis.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and understanding of WFP M&E standards.
Standard minimum qualifications:
- Education: Advanced (Masters) University degree in Economics, Food Security, Agriculture, Statistics, Data Science, or any other related field.
- Experience: At least Four (4) years of relevant professional work experience in the field of monitoring and evaluation or project management. Experience using a variety of quantitative and qualitative analytical tools and methods is a must.
- Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of Arabic and or French language is added advantage.