PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Strategically lead, develop and direct the implementation of all aspects of World Vision Timor Leste to ensure high Ministry quality and high impact on the field;
Represent WV Timor Leste to all donors, project partners, other WV Partnership offices and divisions, local Government, Church representatives and non-governmental organizations serving according to given Power of Attorney.
Provide leadership, strategic direction and support in the development and implementation of an effective National Resource Strategy.
Be accountable for all of aspects of WV’s work in the country.
The Timor Leste National Director will:
- Provide Strategy and leadership of World Vision Timor Leste in implementing work towards child well-being, ensuring a high level of integration and collaboration with other Asia Pacific offices and partner Support Offices.
- Actively engage in funding acquisition- building relationships and networks to appropriately position WV in TL to secure strategic grant opportunities to enable the operations.
- Provide strong operational management of all aspects of WV Timor Leste work.
- Develop strong Ministry Objectives including Reciprocity of Ministry where communities and donors/supporters are able to minister to each other and directly contribute to the achievement of child well-being outcomes.
- Carry out engagement activities with partners and other stakeholders.
- Provide people and culture management for World Vision Timor Leste
- Promote strong financial management.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant laws, standards and requirements, including local country requirements.
- Model a high standard of personal Christian leadership
- Ensure adequate preparation for and engagement in emergency response.
Strategy and Leadership:
- Ensure there is a documented office strategy, Ministry strategies and operating plans, and the latter have been derived from the office strategy and has clear, measurable short-term and long-term targets; Ensure that Ministry strategies are aligned with Regional and Partnership strategic priorities.
- Ensure there are clear strategies for Finance, People and Culture, Communications and other main functions, and they are based on the office strategy and operational plan and include main priority areas identified in respective Regional and Partnership Strategy. Facilitate and be accountable for the execution and monitoring of strategies.
- Provide strategic leadership to the Timor Leste staff, supporting and managing all operations in WV Timor Leste to ensure implementation is efficient and effective and meets the goals and objectives of World Vision International and community partners.
- Establish networks and relationships with key stakeholders in order to position WVTL appropriately to secure funding going forward.
- Ensure the financial sustainability of World Vision ministry in Timor Leste through a proactive approach to funding acquisition and marketing World Vision’s programs to potential donors.
- Ensure appropriate high quality concepts and proposals are developed to build on the relationships established with potential donors.
- Provide a view of pipeline projects, resources and expense forecast.
- Lead innovative initiatives.
Leadership and Management:
- Promote WV’s Vision, Mission, Core Values and key Partnership Standards and Practices among the staff and partners and ensure these are the core foundation of the office, strategies and work.
- Ensure capable staff are available to implement office strategy and operational plans.
- Promote and participate in leadership development initiatives.
- Lead and manage the team in a way that facilitates a high performance culture, open trustworthy relationships and integrity; Promote a culture of learning and development, employee engagement and good stewardship of human capital in the office.
- Ensure implementation and compliance to Partnership Performance Management Standards and Principles, while seeking to implement.Management guidelines on reasonable level; Champion leadership team in the proper implementation of Performance Evaluations on annual basis for the whole office.
- Support initiatives for staff care and well-being, both for international and local employees.
- Respect, value and promote gender, age, religious and ethnic diversity.
- Ensure excellent standards in the management of the human, financial, capital and technical resources of the organization, which includes inspiring and maintaining high standards of work and clear accountability to stakeholders.
- Visit projects regularly to encourage, build relationships, and support WV programs.
- Ensure the Partnership Security and Safety requirements including setting standards, performance requirements, monitoring security status, responding to security incidents as escalated.
- Ensure all programs and projects are integrated so that a true holistic approach to transformational development is found in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the work of WV in Timor Leste.
- Ensure that donor promised and agreements are fulfilled and grants are managed to an extremely high standard of excellence.
- Define a clear landscape view of the needs of communities in Timor Leste, identifying need at community, area and country levels to enable the story to be told to donors.
- Facilitate a strong and effective working relationship between Area Program Managers and Donor Relationship Managers.
- Represent World Vision to Timor Leste government representatives, UN agencies, local and international non-government organisations, ministry partners, churches, media, donors and community leaders and maintain productive relationships with these people.
- Ensure MOUs with relevant Ministries.
People & Culture Management:
- Provide performance-based leadership that builds and motivates effective teams to achieve the complex scope of World Vision’s ministry and ensures accountability through appropriate performance management.
- Review and approve the office succession plan to ensure that proper capacity is in place and the succession plan is updated and executed.
- Develop and coach the senior leadership team in Timor Leste.
- Ensure effective Human Resource systems are operating for performance and development management of staff including recruitment and selection, orientation, development and evaluation to ensure ministry impact of the highest, cost effective quality, accountability and integrity.
- Ensure gender and ethnic diversity at all levels according to relevant policies and guidelines.
- Ensure the protocols and procedures for staff security, child protection, risk management, stress management and staff care are implemented and monitored.
- Exercise good stewardship over all resources by maintaining financial control, procedures and records, according to accountability standards required by World Vision International.
- Ensure the management and regular, systematic review of all budgets, project funding, expenditures and accomplishment of ministry objectives and ensure all programs and projects remain with budget.
- Oversee compliance with all relevant sections of the Field Financial Manual including proper accounting systems and practices.
- Ensure WVTL overhead budget is proactively managed in line with the funding secured to remain within % objective.
- Ensure the office complies with local legal requirements and standards.
- Represent WV Timor Leste in courts, if required.
- Ensure and oversee proper mechanisms for Child Protection and other WVI Standards and Principles implementation.
- Implement audit recommendations.
- Model a high standard of personal Christian leadership, maturity and integrity as an example to staff and to commend World Vision to various publics.
- Participate in and lead devotional meetings, annual Day of Prayer and other Christian events.
Develop and maintain capacity to respond promptly to all Category I emergency relief responses.
Ensure the implementation of national and international HEA efforts related to policy implementation, systems and structures.
KNOWLEDGE,SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Degree in international development, business administration, public health, social science, management or related discipline, preferably at Masters level.
- 7 + years of experience in leadership with International NGO.
- Significant leadership experience particularly in securing grant funding in a variety of contexts.
- Experience in running an office or organisation, including managing strategy, system, structure and organisational culture.
- Experience in managing Relief/Development and Advocacy programs
- Cross-cultural leadership skill - candidates must have experiences working globally in different context and culture.
- Commitment to social justice beliefs and values.
- Inspirational leadership.
- Expect networker and relationship builder, specifically with Australian Government’s DFAT and Australian Management Contractors.
- Visionary and strategic abilities.
- Ability to work under pressure and make key decisions that impact the safety and wellbeing of WV staff.
- Cross cultural skills – good understanding of country political, social-economic and cultural context.
- Cross cultural sensitivity- flexible world view, emotional maturity and physical stamina.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and demonstrated ability to communicate cross-culturally.
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to build personal and team-based relationships with staff, partners and leaders at all levels.
- A firm understanding of complex security environments is essential. Operations are spread country wide, so ability to travel on a monthly basis to project sites is helpful.
- Good analytical skills and a demonstrated ability to think creatively and innovatively.
- Knowledge of DFAT or MFAT Programmes.
- Work experience in South Asia and Pacific re