Description of task
The purpose of this assignment is to provide technical advice on on public health, NCDs, and lead the management, design, implementation, monitoring and reporting of The Defeat-NCD Partnership programme activities, in support of the Ministry of Health, Royal Government of Bhutan. Within the delegated authority and under the guidance of the Programme Coordinator or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the NCD Coordinator for Bhutan will carry out the following tasks:
National NCD Capacity Building
- Lead the development of Bhutan national NCD strategy and costed action plan.
- Prepare for and support regular meetings of the intersectoral committee for NCDs responsible for implementing, monitoring, and evaluating the National NCD Strategy and its related National NCD Costed Action Plan.
- Lead relevant epidemiological, economic, and service delivery studies/research to inform both policy development and various multisectoral planning for NCDs.
- Lead technical assistance to support policy analysis for NCDs and support new policy development for NCDs in Bhutan, including coordination structures and multisectoral monitoring frameworks that improve data availability for better analysis.
- Lead the development and refinement of tools and methods on NCD programme implementation at country level.
- Lead in the monitoring and evaluation of the national NCD strategy and costed action plan.
- Lead identification and development of training and institutional capacity strengthening needs in terms of human resources to manage NCDs at all levels of the health services and develop and implement plans to address them in a phased manner.
- Promote use of technology/digital tools for e-learning/skill development of primary health care workers and implementation of decision support systems for service delivery for NCD management in the country.
- Responsible for mobilising resources from national and international donors and investors to fund the national NCD Strategy and Costed Action Plan.
- Join the efforts of teams in the various Defeat-NCD country programmes to develop institutional operational modalities and frameworks.
- Develop collaboration with national and international universities, research institutions, and think tanks to support implementation of national plans for prevention and control of NCDs.
- Lead global knowledge-sharing by documenting lessons learned on capacity building in Bhutan.
Community Scale-up for NCD Services
- Lead in designing and implementing a nationwide NCD screening programme with proper referral pathways and data collection mechanisms.
- Identify innovations and interventions to increase the provision of NCD services to communities in a cost-effective manner including last mile delivery and improved patient self-care. Drive institutional processes to transform some of these interventions as investible services to that can attract venture or private equity capital.
- Analyse existing or proposed primary health care systems and services on their inclusion of NCDs; identify needs for improvement and the methods and resources to accomplish such improvements.
- Develop new programme proposals and proactively explore opportunities to raise new funding and capital to scale up the effort of NCD services at community level.
- Actively participate in annual planning, monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts.
- Build and strengthen close working relationship with all health sector counterparts in country.
- Lead development of NCD services for people affected by disasters, conflicts, and crises, with a particular focus on pandemics.
- Lead the development of grants and agreements with identified implementation partners for managing the grant out activities in accordance with UNITAR rules and regulations.
Affordability and Accessibility of Essential NCD Supplies
- Build a strong working relationship and provide technical assistance to improve public, faith-based, and private sector procurement and supply chains for accessibility, availability and affordability of essential NCD medicines, diagnostics, and equipment in Bhutan.
- Assess and provide assistance where needed to develop/improve the electronic forecasting, inventory, stock and logistics management information system and roll out trainings on their efficient use.
- Promote The Defeat-NCD Marketplace to relevant stakeholders as a procurement tool to help make provision of quality NCD supplies simpler and more cost effective in the country.
- Assess NCD drugs and supplies quality assurance practices and the country’s approved suppliers, and pre-qualification process.
- Lead the documentation and tracking of improved affordability and accessibility of NCD drugs, diagnostics, and medical devices in Bhutan through the development of the country and reginal market monitoring studies, and global State of the World’s Essential Medicines and Diagnostic Supplies for Noncommunicable Diseases report.
Sustainable NCD Financing
- Lead the management of The Defeat-NCD pooled fund in country and ensure appropriate fundraising, grant management and donor reporting for the fund.
- Lead the development of innovative financing instruments for funding the National Costed Action Plan for the prevention and control of NCDs
- Provide continuous analysis of health financing needs to implement the national costed action plan on NCDs.
- Ensure continuous engagement and knowledge sharing across relevant stakeholders and government departments ensuring the flow of funds to NCD care as per the budget.
- Develop progress reports for the implementation of the national NCD programmes.
- Manage timely reporting to the donors for their contributions to The Defeat-NCD pooled fund in Bhutan.
- Prepare briefing notes and/or presentations as requested for the Royal Government of Bhutan officials to showcase Bhutan’s work on tackling NCDs nationally and internationally.
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
- Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
- Education - Additional Comments:
- Master's degree or equivalent in public health and a Graduate degree in Medicine, from an accredited and recognized academic institution is required.
- Required experience: 60 Months
- At least 5 years of relevant professional work experience for Public health, Government facility, large International organisation, etc.
- Strong demonstrated track record in programme monitoring, evaluation, and reporting is required.
- Relevant work experience in at least two of the following areas: health policy development, health system strengthening and transformation, primary health care, project planning and management, capacity building and health innovation.
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills.
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development.
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel.
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment.
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines.
- Sound security awareness.
- Have affinity with or interest in public health, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- Knowledge in using project management tool Asana (https://asana.com) on a daily basis is required for this assignment. Certification as an Asana Certified Pros (https://academy.asana.com/series/certified-pro-courses) or Asana Ambassador (https://academy.asana.com/series/asana-ambassador-courses) is preferred. Completion of relevant courses on Asana Academy (https://academy.asana.com) in order to enrol on the Asana Ambassador programme is required within one month of starting this assignment.
- UNITAR prefers the volunteer to be self-sufficient and arrange to be equipped with the requisite professional tools and equipment to carry out this assignment such as laptop with standard Adobe and Microsoft Office software, and a mobile phone.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Dzongkha(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge