We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds - from the medical industry to the music business - all with unique skills we bring to the job.
Impact Malaria Program
The US Presidents Malaria Initiative (PMI) Impact Malaria project is PMI’s flagship global malaria service delivery project, helping to improve the quality and increase the delivery of malaria diagnosis and treatment services in up to 27 countries around the world. PMI Impact Malaria is a USAID contract hosted and led by PSI as the prime contractor.
PMI Impact Malaria works with national malaria control programs to help tackle these challenges by:
- Closing the gaps in malaria service delivery to get the right medicine, with the correct diagnosis, to patients in need, in the timeliest manner.
- Unlocking the potential of key drug-based approaches, by helping countries to introduce, implement, and scale-up proven innovations to move countries forward in their elimination efforts, according to each country’s unique malaria situation.
- Strengthening malaria health systems and the use of data for decision-making to link operational research and country-led dialogue with global technical leadership for the means of accelerating service delivery improvements and advancing key learnings.
The PMI Impact Malaria (IM) team is a results focused, multi-disciplined and multi-cultured team, based out of Washington DC, working through PSI country offices as well as through our partners Jhpiego, MCDI and UCSF.
We are looking for an Operational Research (OR) Program Manager to provide administrative, operational, financial and program management support on PMI Impact Malaria (IM) department. The OR Program Manager will lead on administrative and logistics support of IM’s operational research and will work with project staff and partners at all levels both in Washington and overseas. The position requires attention to detail, flexibility, ability to meet deadlines and ability to coordinate various stakeholders. This position is based in Washington, D.C. and reports to the Surveillance, Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor
The position will be part of the IM’s M&E/OR team supporting all OR activities across all countries and will be expected to interact regularly with the project field offices, as well as other departments in. The ideal candidate is someone who will pro-actively plans an coordinates various aspects of operational research activities, can juggle multiple, competing priorities, and will enthusiastically ensure smooth and timely flow of work.
- Manage the administrative and logistical support of IM operational research (OR) and therapeutic efficacy study (TES) activities, including program management and backstopping duties, in close collaboration with IM Surveillance, Monitoring, and Evaluation (SME) Advisor and Principal Investigators, co-investigators, collaborators and research staff of partner organizations, local subcontractors, and funding agencies, as well as in-country study managers,
- Responsible for coordinating, shepherding, and tracking protocol development and finalization, in close collaboration with IM Surveillance, Monitoring, and Evaluation (SME) Advisor and Principal Investigators, co-investigators, collaborators and research staff of partner organizations, local subcontractors, and funding agencies.
- Responsible for tracking IRB submissions led by partner organizations that are required for study approvals
- Responsible for drafting scopes of work with inputs from IM technical leads, IM SME Advisor, IM stakeholders and IM subcontractors.
- Responsible for coordination, oversight, and review of IM OR and TES budget preparation by IM subcontractors.
- Responsible for monitoring progress, work, and deliverables of local implementing subcontractors from backstopping perspective, working with local IM managers on the ground and IM HQ Compliance Manager.
- Responsible for attending all OR and TES related meetings and keeping IM technical leads and IM SME informed and updated.
- Complete contractual paperwork for OR and TES as requested of IM and under the guidance of IM HQ Compliance Manager.
- Working with IM SME Advisor, IM M&E Officers and Data Analyst to prepare and analyze data generated from IM OR and TES studies.
- Coordinate the development and review of post-OR and TES outputs, such as briefs, reports and other documents as required.
- Graduate degree
- Demonstrated 5 years’ experience of conducting epidemiological studies in developing countries, based in the field, preferably with malaria or other infectious diseases.
- Exceptional organizational and program management skills; attention to detail
- Experience with designing, managing, and/or leading operational research studies, especially those with multiple partners
- Experience with budgeting for research studies
- Intermediate to Advanced skills in Excel
- Strong ability to work with and build consensus with various stakeholders to produce outputs.
- Adept at managing multiple, competing priorities and sorting through complex problems.
- Ability to work independently (a self-starter who takes initiative) as well as part of a team.
- Comfortable with matrix management.
- French language skills highly desirable.
- References will be required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.