Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
TRACTION is a 5 year UK Department for International Development funded programme, implemented by Palladium in Malawi. The programme aims to improve economic development and service delivery throughout Malawi by using a number of innovative approaches. This role is an essential part of the programme management team - leading all operational aspects of the programme to ensure effective and efficient delivery.
- The primary responsibilities of the Finance and Operations Manager, are as follows.
- Financial Management
- Ensure compliance with both DFID and Palladium financial processes and systems
- Preparation of annual client and Palladium forecasts, with regular updates (at least monthly) to ensure minimal variance
- Management of the TRACTION bank account
- Oversee the finance officer in the preparation of weekly field vouchers and all payment approval documentation
- Prepare monthly funds transfer requests (FTRs) for Palladium treasury detailing the forecast of expenditure for the month
- Work with the MLA manager to provide the required information for Value for Money reporting, ensuring that the project Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) is up to date and costs are being correctly charged to the project
Human Resource Management
- Prepare and maintain the fixed term employment contracts for all TRACTION staff
- Prepare and maintain monthly payroll for all TRACTION staff, ensuring timely payment and the deduction of appropriate taxes and benefits
- Support the Team Leader in the establishment of the performance management system, and ensure compliance of all line managers with the requirements and timelines of the system
- Keep up to date with changes in Malawian legislation surrounding employment legislation and employer and employee obligations
- Prepare and maintain consultancy agreements for Malawian consultants
- Establish and maintain the project management manual, updating as required to ensure it remains up to date
- Ensure that all payments are made with the correct statutory deductions
- Ensure that all statutory deductions are remitted to the appropriate authorities within the necessary timeframe
- Oversee the TRACTION annual financial audit, including procurement of the audit firm (if requested by DFID) and facilitation of the audit process
- As required, work with other Palladium Malawi projects to ensure the compliance of the Palladium Malawi corporate entity including supporting corporate audits and returns
- Prepare and maintain contracts for local suppliers and agents
- Ensure that all contracts are filed and recorded in an auditable fashion
- Work with the Project Coordinator to ensure that all contracts are approved by Contracts and Compliance before signing, as required
- Oversee all TRACTION procurement of goods and services
- Ensure compliance with both Palladium and DFID procurement procedures
- Oversee the finance officer (or other delegate) in the maintenance of the asset register
- Act as the primary liaison point between the landlord and TRACTION
- Ensure that all office supplies are procured appropriately, and accurate stock records are kept for all consumable items
Safety and Security
- Act as the TRACTION programme Safety and Security focal point, liaising as necessary with the Palladium corporate security team
- Establish and Maintain the TRACTION communications tree
- Maintain and update the TRACTION safety and security procedures as necessary throughout the life of the programme to ensure the safe and compliant operation of TRACTION
The Successful Candidate will:
- Have experience of operational roles within donor funded development programmes (DFID preferred)
- Have proven management experience with the ability to work autonomously to a high level of delivery
- Be able to work under pressure and pick-up new tasks and processes quickly