UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Under the guidance of the Resident Representative and direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative (DRR), the Operations Manager (OM) acts as an advisor to Senior Management on all aspects of CO management and operations. This includes strategic financial and human resources management, efficient procurement and logistical services, ICT and common services consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. The main role is to lead the operations, ensuring smooth functioning of the CO/programmes/ projects operations, consistent services delivery and constant evaluation and readjustment of the operations to take into account changes in the operating environment as and when needed.
The OM assists the DRR to lead and guide the Country Office (CO) Operations Team and fosters collaboration within the team, with programme staff and with other UN Agencies and a client-oriented approach. The Operations Manager works in close collaboration with programme and project teams in the CO, operations staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs and Regional staff and Government officials to successfully deliver operations services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Summary of Key Functions:
- Ensures strategic direction of operations
- Financial resources management and supervision of the Finance team
- Human Resources Management and supervision of the HR team
- Efficient procurement and logistical services and supervision of the Procurement team
- Information and communication management and supervision of ICT team
- Ensure provision of efficient support functions to CO, projects, and UN Agencies
Ensures the strategic direction of operations focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of operations with UN/UNDP rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring of achievement of results;
- Establishment of collaborate arrangements with potential partners, a Client Relationship Management system for resource mobilization purposes and appropriate operational partnership arrangements;
- CO business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Finance, Human Resources Management, Procurement, Logistical and ICT services;
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the operating environment, timely readjustment of the operations, advice on legal considerations and risk assessment;
- Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the CO, organization of the operations staff trainings, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to UNDP knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Ensures effective and accurate financial resources management and supervision of the Finance team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources, including extra-budgetary income in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Proper management of the contributions management business process and accounting for contributions to ensure that the money due to UNDP is properly identified, consistently and uniformly classified, recorded on a timely basis and received with sufficient supporting documentation;
- Performance of Manager Level 2 role in Atlas for voucher and Treasury transactions approvals, bank reconciliation. Approval of pending disbursements as the “third authority” (cheques, FGT, EFT);
- Organization of cost-recovery mechanisms for CO services provided to projects and UN Agencies, including ensuring preparation of proforma invoices for UN agencies;
- Organization and oversight of CO cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommendation of imprest level, risk assessment, bank relationship management; timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site;
- Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions. Provision of information to supervisors and other UNDP staff at HQ of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained;
- Member of bank signatory panel;
- Transaction and stop payment approval authorization to bank;
- All financial transactions are identified, recorded and verified in compliance with IPSAS as outlined in the corporate policies and procedures.
Ensures strategic human resources management and supervision of the HR team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- CO compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies;
- Optimal staffing of the office and projects;
- Oversight of recruitment processes in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, appropriate use of different contractual modalities, contracts management, OM performing the function of HR Manager in Atlas;
- Establishment and maintenance of the proper performance management and staff development systems. Implementation of the Universal Access strategy on learning ensuring access of the staff to role appropriate learning activities.
Ensures provision of efficient procurement and logistical services and supervision of the Procurement team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- CO compliance with corporate rules and regulations in the field and elaboration of the CO procurement strategies including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement promotion and introduction, performance measurement;
- Elaboration of the CO contract strategy including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal implications. Oversight of procurement processes and logistical services in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, OM acting as Manager Level 2 in Atlas for Purchase orders approvals;
- Proper management, facilities, and logistical services of UNDP CO assets and DIM projects assets including management of UNDSS assets in line with the corporate agreement between UNDP and UNDSS, including full compliance with IPSAS in the accounting for the procurement, utilization and disposal of the CO’s assets.
Ensures forward-looking information and communication management and supervision of ICT team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Use of Atlas functionality for improved business results and improved client services;
- Identification of opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency and full accountability;
- Maintenance of a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequate planning for disasters and recoveries;
- Identification and promotion of different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge sharing, information provision and learning including e-registry, web-based office management system, etc.
Ensure provision of efficient support functions to CO, projects, and UN Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Effective leadership in the teaming up for the support function area in Registry, transport, Travel, Visa and shipment;
- Leadership in the management of CO transport support strategy in compliance with UNDP rules of vehicle management;
- Ensure efficient working relationship building with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, other Ministries and departments in facilitation to the smooth operations of service delivery in the area of visa, travel, shipment and privileges and immunities;
- Leadership and management of DIM Projects premises and ensure efficient support services to DIM Projects.
- Management of the logistical and implementation aspects with regard to the functioning of UNDP Nepal’s in-country field offices, to include negotiations and settlement of leases, oversight of refurbishment and requisite coordination with Programme/HQ Units and UN Agencies;
- Assist the DRR in negotiating with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, other Ministries and departments privileges, immunities and general host country relations in line with UN Conventions and the UNDP SBAA;
- Assist the DRR in formulating strategy to achieve results in line with UN Common System issues and priorities through effective representational and operational modalities;
- Assist the DRR to ensure security of UNDP staff and premises. In particular:
- Support the implementation of UNDP MOSS compliance;
- Efficient implementation in UNDP of security measures agreed in the SMT and for compliance with security policy.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments
- Excellent spoken and written skills in English and Nepali languages.
- Experience in the usage of office software packages and experience in handling web-based management systems.