The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES), a non-profit international organization, supports citizens’ right to participate in free and fair elections. Our independent expertise strengthens electoral systems and builds local capacity to deliver sustainable solutions. As the global leader in democracy promotion, we advance good governance and democratic rights by providing technical assistance to election officials, and by empowering the underrepresented to participate in the political process. Since 1987, IFES has worked in over 145 countries - from developing democracies, to mature democracies.
All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. IFES encourages people with disabilities and from other diverse backgrounds to apply.Job Responsibilities:
IFES is seeking qualified, Ukraine-based, native-English speaking/writing candidates for the position of Operations Officer. Anticipated duration of the contract: six months with possibility of extension. Expatriates residing in Ukraine who meet the requirements indicated in this vacancy are encouraged to apply; this position does not include additional benefits such as lodging, insurance, or international travel.
Reporting to the IFES Ukraine Senior Operations Officer and the IFES Ukraine Chief of Party, the Operations Officer will provide oversight on all reporting, administration, procurement, financial management, HR,and operations functions of the IFES Ukraine program.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting: Ensure that donor-specified (USAID, Global Affairs Canada, UKAID) reporting requirements are met with coordination between field and HQ-based program staff. This includes drafting/editing, and quality control of biweekly, midterm, and final reports to donors and IFES headquarters, as well as regular promotional pieces such as success stories and press releases.
Financial and Grant Management
- Ensure field expense reports are submitted to HQ within the stipulated deadlines;
- Assist with budget analysis and developing pipelines;
- Work with finance staff to ensure that financial management and reporting is accurate and well documented;
- Supervise the financial/procurement/administrative management of IFES sub awards, to ensure that reports are submitted on a timely basis, and in line with regulations and requirements.
- Oversee and coordinate procurement actions, including commodities, long- and short-term service providers, consultants, and sub-grants, to ensure they meet donor and IFES regulations;
- Monitor cash flow and ensure sufficient funds are always available;
- Work with program and procurement teams to ensure procurement processes are in line with IFES’ and donor policies, understood by staff, and processed effectively;
- Review monthly field expense reports and ensuring compliance with IFES rules and procedures.
HR and Operations
- Support local staff hiring, development and annual review process;
- Ensure that IFES internal records and regulations/policies are up to date and in line with local legislation, IFES and donor policies;
- Oversee functions of administrative, financial, reporting, grant management and procurement teams;
- Support liaising and responding to HQ and donor requests;
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS and SPECIFICATIONS
- Ability to complete tasks with limited supervision;
- Excellent attention to detail and deadlines;
- Experience in optimizing and overseeing financial and procurement systems;
- Strong background in financial administration, office management and procurement;
- The ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines;
- Excellent reporting and document handling skills;
- Excellent communication skills in order to be able to work with IFES program and administrative staff to identify and resolve issues;
- Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality;
- Must value operating in a collaborative and cooperative environment.
- Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness;
- Ability to handle sensitive issues and address inclusion matters with integrity;
- Ability to manage staff and work with senior management;
- Capacity to work well with minimal supervision; strong professional and collaborative management skills are required, as well as the ability to meet deadlines;
- Superior interpersonal and writing skills;
- Creative problem-solver with proven ability to adapt and deliver under pressure.
EDUCATION and QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstrated financial management/accounting skills/experience
- Experience managing/working in an administration and procurement function;
- Experience working for/with international nongovernmental organizations abroad is an advantage;
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a relevant subject;
- Minimum four (4) years of relevant experience;
- Excellent management skills, experience in grant and personnel management;
- Previous experience working with a development project, NGO or International Organization.
- Ability and skills to promote and inspire effective collaboration between individuals, organizations and networks;
- Strong diplomacy skills;
- Experience working on UK/USAID/Canada-funded programs a plus;
- Proficiency in Word, Power point, Outlook and Excel.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Native-level English language ability, written and spoken.