About the Organization:
The Internet Society is a global non-profit organization that works to protect the Internet as a place of opportunity. We connect and empower communities to ensure the Internet remains trustworthy—open, globally connected, secure, and a resource for good in the world. We believe the Internet is for everyone. But it’s more than just a privilege; it’s our responsibility to improve it.
We mobilize technologist, end users, potential users, policymakers, government agencies and institutional and corporate partners to defend and promote the collaborative inter-networking, technical standards, and protocols that grow and strengthen the Internet.
If you believe in the power and possibility of the Internet, be part of our mission!
The Internet Society (ISOC) is seeking a Policy and Advocacy Manager in India to join our expert staff. This person will advance the Internet Society’s global Internet policy and advocacy objectives with a particular focus on advocacy in India.
This position will join the Internet Society’s global team of project expert staff in the Office of Resource and Skill Management and will be assigned to work on ISOC’s Internet Projects to Grow and Strengthen the Internet worldwide.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with Internet policy expertise, advocacy skills and experience in building advocacy coalitions both in India. Ideally, this person will have experience in the region and beyond. This person will support ISOC’s advocacy goals in India and will contribute to our efforts to build a stronger global Internet.
The Policy and Advocacy Manager should have a passion for the Internet and the core principles and mission of the Internet Society along with substantial knowledge of Internet public policy issues in India. To be successful, this candidate will be a team player, a self-starter and a creative thinker.
This is a 2 year employment term. Remote position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Actively contribute to the execution of ISOC’s policy goals and objectives across a wide range of projects and policy issue areas such as access regulations, encryption, intermediary liability regulation, and the open Internet.
- Position the Internet Society’s policy agenda strategically in India with policymakers, partners and related stakeholders.
- Work with internal teams to mobilize partners and community members to advocate for policy changes.
- Provide policy information and analyses, both verbally and in writing, to internal leadership as well as policymakers, advocates, partners, and other stakeholders.
- Represent the Internet Society in a variety of settings, including with governments, regional and international policy and technical fora, civil society and the private sector in a manner that maintains the high standards of the Internet Society.
- Undertake the writing and editing of materials such as blogs, stories, fact sheets, press releases, and reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Masters- in International Relations, Public Policy, Political Science, Law or related field, or equivalent experience highly desired.
- 3-5 years of experience in government relations and developing and maintaining strategic relationships with external decision-makers including government officials, technocrats, advisory committees and working groups.
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring legislative, regulatory and policy-making activities, and the ability to identify opportunities to help shape policy outcomes related
- Demonstrated expertise on Internet-related policy topics such as access regulations, encryption, intermediary liability regulation, and the open Internet.
- Ability to translate complex Internet technical topics for a policy audience and articulate Internet Society positions on a range of Internet policy topics.
- Comfort and ability in technical areas, such as Information Sciences or Technology, would be an asset.
- Have a deep and demonstrated commitment to cultivating and leveraging networks or large external constituent groups towards common goals.
- Is passionate about defending the Internet, making it stronger and has done great Internet policy and advocacy work in India.
- Deeply committed to the Internet Society’s vision and mission.
- Works collaboratively and is enthusiastic about working in a global, multicultural organization across time zones.
- Have a natural affinity for partnership and coalition building.
- Displays excellent written and oral communication skills with a demonstrated ability to speak and write persuasively to a range of diverse audiences.
- Comfort with meeting facilitation and public speaking is important.
- Fluency in English is required. Proficiency in additional languages is desired.
- Commitment to the Internet Society’s mission, values and objectives.
- Experience working with a globally distributed workforce and ability to work across time zone.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability interact positively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment.