Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Roles and responsibilities
• Research functional proxies for ecosystem health that can be used to assess land degradation status and for monitoring of progress towards restoration of degraded ecosystems.
• Research opportunities for restoration of degraded land, specifically to:
o Facilitate the maintenance or recovery of biodiversity in mosaics of agricultural and (semi-)natural systems.
o Increase and maintain above- and belowground carbon stocks.
o Enhance water quality and availability.
• Contribute towards the development and implementation of a near-real-time geoscience laboratory that utilizes remote sensing and rigorous statistical approaches for targeting restoration ecology.
• PhD in applied ecology, with specialization in Tropical Ecosystems, Biodiversity Conservation, Environmental and Spatial Studies or similar field.
• 2 years’ experience in research. Field work experience will be a plus.
• Strong background in mathematical statistics and modeling, with advanced R statistical programming skills.
• Background in spatial modeling and geo-computing.
• Knowledge and experience in remote sensing a plus.
• Good English language skills, French a plus.