Principal Consultant - Nature-based Solutions
DAI Global UK Ltd, Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Closing Date for Applications:
DAI is committed to helping nations, communities and businesses strive in a climate resilient world. We offer solutions and experience from the ground up which influences decision makers and brings positive outcomes to society and the planet. In order to better support the UKs leadership on international climate work and as the COP26 host, we are recruiting a Principal Consultant to deliver high quality technical expertise to grow our project portfolio, support existing assignments and deliver best-in class programmes. The successful candidate will work closely with teams and projects to build knowledge and networks and support new business opportunities and innovative technical solutions across this rapidly evolving sector.
- The Principal Consultant will lead the design, development and delivery of DAI’s nature-based solutions (NBS) workstream to the scale needed to address the biodiversity and climate emergencies in emerging and developing countries. The development of the workstream will involve leading business development efforts as Champion or Lead Writer in competitive procurements for DAI clients. This will include developing technical methodologies and work plans on tenders for programmes designed by our clients, as well as identifying the skills sets needed for successful delivery, and where strategic partnerships are needed.
- The Principal Consultant will also generate learning content and other communications materials and be available to develop and promote DAI’s thought partnership externally at influntial networking events.
For the role the successful candidate will have:
- Relevant academic qualifications (or equivalent) in one of the following: conservation, land use management, ecology, agriculture, economics, finance, or climate sciences.
- A detailed understanding and demonstrable experience in landscape-scale conservation; economics of valuing nature; technical, market and policy instruments leading to nature protection.
- Practical experience in one or more of the following areas would constitute an advantage:
- Monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) of carbon sequestration for sustainable land management practices.
- Agroforestry, silvo-pastoral and farmer-managed natural regenerative practices.
- Business tools (e.g. finance and supply chain management) for scaling up sustainable supply chains / zero deforestation commodities.
- Significant relevant experience in /in-country or relevant experience implementing programmes and / or providing advisory services.
- Understanding of HMG (Defra, BEIS, FCDO for instance) and other donors/actors approaches to climate/environment in their international development portfolios, and how this translates into programming.
- Network of specialist expertise within the sector and across a range of geographies.
- Knowledge of and networks of contacts in relevant organisations in the sector.
- Ability to represent DAI at technical conferences, meetings and networking events.
- Demonstrated experience in writing technical reports and technical methodologies (and other proposal sub-sections) and learning products.
- Ability to research, analyse and synthesise technical information.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Fluency in French, Spanish and/or Portuguese would constitute an advantage.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Proactive, accountable and action-oriented with strong intellectual agility.
- Able to establish and maintain positive working relationships both internally and externally.
- Able to be flexible, versatile and tolerant in a changing work environment whilst maintaining effectiveness.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Numerate with a high level of attention to detail.
- Advanced level of MS Office.
- Ability to travel internationally when possible and if required.