Principal Procurement Specialist
Asian Development Bank(ADB), Manila, Philippines
Closing Date for Applications:
- Oversee and provide high-level assistance, technical guidance and capacity building to Central and West Asia resident missions (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan) to ensure compliance with ADB’s procurement (goods, works, and consulting services) policies and procedures. Lead in the provision of substantive assistance, technical guidance and capacity building to ensure compliance with Asian Development Bank (ADB)’s procurement and consulting services policies and procedures, and lead in the establishment, harmonization and improvement of these policies and procedures, consistent with effective project management for ADB projects in support of ADB’s goal of reducing poverty. Work within a framework of broad policies, principles and goals, applying a high degree of freedom in the selection of work methods.
Project Management Support
- Lead the design, processing, administration, and evaluation of loan and technical assistance (TA) projects with emphasis on procurement and project administration.
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams such as the Operations Services and Financial Management Department (OSFMD), Regional Departments, and developing member countries (DMCs) in developing, refining and monitoring country, sector and project performance indicators to promote project quality and improve portfolio performance.
- Chair Consultant Selection Committee meetings to shortlist consultants and evaluate their proposals.
- Oversee and negotiate TA contracts with consultants.
- Process and administer TA projects associated with procurement, project administration and country procurement systems.
- Provide technical guidance and advice for developing project processing and administration systems.
Procurement/Consulting Services Advice
- Oversee and review borrowers’ procurement actions and submissions for engaging consultants under ADB loans.
- Provide technical guidance and advice as appropriate in accordance with ADB procurement policies and procedures.
- Act as regional procurement coordinator for Central and West Asia Department (CWRD) resident missions (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan).
Policy/Procedure Setting and Improvement
- Formulate procurement policy and procedures, and project administration instructions.
- Coordinate the harmonization of procurement policy with other development agencies.
- Lead projects/assignments involving moderate to high levels of risk with many variables, requiring constant review of deliverables and process, and multi-discipline including those outside of own field of expertise.
- Perform work independently in own field of specialization, equipped with knowledge and experience of multiple disciplines.
- Deliver tailored training to ADB and executing agency staff to develop skills in procurement, consulting services and project administration in accordance with ADB policies and guidelines.
- Deliver Business Opportunities Seminar (BOS).
- Enhance the content of OSFMD website.
- Widely recognized for demonstrated expertise and substantial achievements in one or more fields of specialization, and provides leadership in professional and operational matters
- Contributing new or innovative approaches to policy and operational issues.
Leadership and Staff Supervision
- Provide leadership and support to reporting staff.
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
- Lead in supporting work planning and control over the quality of output for the division.
- Provide guidance to other Procurement Specialists.
- Master's Degree, or equivalent, in business administration, engineering, finance, management, or related fields. University degree in business administration, engineering, finance, management, or related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree
- Procurement Accreditation Skills Scheme (PASS) accreditation preferred (non-accredited applicants may be considered though will be required to complete accreditation within one year of appointment).
- At least 12 years' relevant experience within the field at senior levels (e.g. leading teams)
- Experience in applying expertise in an international setting.
- Significant expertise within a specific area or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area
- Credible expert in field of expertise with recognized ability to lead projects and to share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community
People and leadership skills
- Able to perform effectively as a team/unit lead, exercising supervision, coordination, and planning responsibilities over multi-disciplinary team/unit
- Able to mentor team members, providing guidance and advice on delivery of services
- Able to coach team members to develop their capabilities/potential
- Has potential for higher managerial responsibilities (for incumbents being considered for the Managerial career path) – able to think like a Director and demonstrate a high level of maturity