At WFP Regional Bureau in Cairo, we provide strategic and technical guidance to WFP operations in 17 countries: Algeria, Armenia, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, Syria, Sudan, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey and Yemen.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Procurement Associate who can respond independently to queries and problems with only general guidance. The ideal candidate is able to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. The successful candidate should have experience and knowledge in adapting and contributing to the development of systems and processes in order to continually improve the level of support provided. He/She will provide coordination, administrative services and research to support the efficient and effective procurement services.
If you're intertested to be part of a fast moving deadline driven team and you are interested to learn how regional and international markets work, please do not hesitate to apply.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Support procurement programs and operational activities, (e.g. issue tenders, evaluate offers and negotiate/award contracts), following standard processes and contributing to successful procurement of food and non-food commodities or services.
- Contribute to analysis of data to provide recommendations for process improvement.
- Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reports of procurement activities, to contribute to a WFP wide view that enables informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders, leading to performance optimization.
- Support auditing of procurement activities by collating the necessary information for recommendations to be responded to appropriately to ensure conformity with compliance rules.
- Work in close collaboration with internal counterparts to align procurement activities with wider programmes and ensure a coherent approach to meeting food assistance needs.
- Support training of WFP staff to take a strategic and proactive approach to the procurement of food and non-food commodities and services, for example designing and reviewing training materials.
- Guide and supervise a limited number of more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with simple analysis and queries.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: First University degree with an additional relevant work experience and/or training/courses.
- Experience: At least 6 years of progressive experience in procurement / supply chain or similar.
- Language: Fluency in both oral and written English and arabic languages.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience of working in Procurement is desired, preferably with UN agencies, however experience of working in public procurement or with private procurement departments is also suitable.
- Experience of undertaking procurement for complex services, identifying and evaluating vendors, preparing tender packages, and undertaking detailed analysis of tender offers is an advantage.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Competency in the use of standard Microsoft Office programs. Desirable skills: Corporate Operating System and tools to conduct range of analyses and generate reports to drive decision making (SAP)
- Ability to work in a team, and establish effective working relations with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, co-ordinate and monitor own work plan;
- Flexibility to work in an environment with strict deadlines and changing operational priorities;
- Flexibility in accepting work assignments outside normal desk description.
- Ability to leverage basic understanding of business needs to define vendor requirements and selection criteria.
- Can handle products/services based on an understanding of sources, technologies, properties, and public procurement principles/practices.
- Ability to maintain accurate records of activities in line with compliance standards to increase ease of response to basic audit queries.