World Health Organization , Washington D.C., United States
Closing Date for Applications:
OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Department of Procurement and Supply Management (PRO) purchases a wide range of products and services for health-related activities and for administrative support of the headquarters and field offices of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO). PRO also purchases on behalf of the World Health Organization (WHO) and its regional offices and Member Governments under reimbursable procurement procedures. The commodities purchased for health-related activities encompass practically the full range of manufactured products.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Director, Procurement and Supply Management (PRO), and the direct supervision of the Procurement Specialist, Corporate Procurement (PRO/CP), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to the following assigned duties:
- Process the purchase of a variety of commodities for the Organization; analyze purchase authorizations for adequacy of specifications and other requirements; work with domestic and international vendors to provide overall order fulfillment; negotiate and analyze costs; select or recommend sources of supply, as necessary, to ensure effective competition;
- Determine whether procurement will be by selective or competitive negotiation for procurement under level of Delegation of Authority (DOA);
- Work with sourcing teams, PHE, technical entities, and key stakeholders to develop on a timely basis request for proposals (RFPs), Request for Quotes (RFQs) and Invitation to Bids (ITBs) with specialized language specific to business requirements or commodities;
- Solicit bids or quotations; analyze them for conformity to specified requirements and for price, delivery and other considerations such as warranty, maintenance, compatibility, etc.; negotiate with suppliers and award contracts based on considerations of all factors;
- Prepare price estimates to provide price and availability information on products and services;
- Determine the method of shipment, indicating the correct condition of travel for the items – hazardous, etc., ensuring acceptance by consignee; report on shipping cost;
- Prepare and issue purchase orders, contracts and amendments; ensure inclusion of complete and accurate specifications, terms and conditions;
- Ensure timely follow up and feedback to requisitioners to ensure alignment with the information provided in the lead-time matrix;
- Work with domestic and international vendors to provide overall order fulfillment; negotiate and analyze costs;
- Review procedures followed by Country Offices and Centers in selecting contractors for PHE related projects/programs and approve or reject proposed contracts up to the delegation of authority level;
- Prepare justification and analysis reports for procurement over delegation of authority to be submitted to the Contract Review Committee (CRC) for approval;
- Assist in the planning, coordination and implementation of any special procurement programs assigned to the Team;
- Participate in the review, analysis and evaluation of procurement systems for modifications, improvements and streamlining of processes;
- Support the planning, coordination and implementation of the procurement functions of the Smart Hospitals Project: including site visits and meetings with vendors in the region where the Project has activities;
- Represent PRO in meetings with internal and/or external stakeholders;
- Track performance of the assigned commodities in order to maintain high customer satisfaction and take corrective actions in coordination with the supervisor when required;
- Provide technical support in contract management of goods and services to all Country Offices; provide guidance to procurement administrative support staff concerning the application of procedures and guidelines established for the preparation of all procurement related documents;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
- Essential: A bachelor’s degree in business administration, procurement or a field related to purchasing from a recognized university.
- Essential: Five years of combined national and international progressively more responsible experience in procurement or supply of goods in either the private or public sector.
- Desirable: Experience in construction projects, emergency procurement response, and/or automated systems such as e-procurement software or/and ERP systems would be an asset.
- Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with team members and counterparts to achieve results; encourages cooperation and builds rapport; helps others when asked; accepts joint responsibility for the teams’ successes and shortcomings. Identifies conflicts in a timely manner and addresses them as necessary; understands issues from the perspective of others; does not interpret/ attribute conflicts to cultural, geographical or gender issues.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Communication: Quality and quantity of communication targeted at audience. Listens attentively and does not interrupt other speakers. Adapts communication style and written content to ensure they are appropriately and accurately understood by the audience (e.g., power-point presentations, communication strategies, implementation plans). Shares information openly with colleagues and transfers knowledge, as needed.
- Knowing and managing yourself: Remains productive even in an environment where information or direction is not available, and when facing challenges; recovers quickly from setbacks, where necessary. Manages stress positively; remains positive and productive even under pressure; does not transfer stress to others. Seeks feedback to improve knowledge and performance; shows self- awareness when seeking and receiving feedback; uses feedback to improve own performance. Seeks informal and/or formal learning opportunities for personal and professional development; systematically learns new competencies and skills useful for job; takes advantage of learning opportunities to fill competencies and skill gaps.
- Moving forward in a changing environment: Suggests and articulates effective and efficient proposals for change as needed when new circumstances arise. Quickly and effectively adapts own work approach in response to new demands and changing priorities. Is open to new ideas, approaches and working methods; adjusts own approach to embrace change initiatives.
- Producing Results: Prioritizes work and makes planning/Organizational adjustments as necessary; seeks clarification from supervisor on timelines, as needed. Uses feedback and inputs from supervisor to achieve results. Produces quality results and has frequent discussions with supervisor to achieve results. Is action-oriented and sees tasks through to completion. Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results. Solicits and accepts direction and guidance from supervisor and team members and takes responsibility for own work and actions, as appropriate.
- Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.