The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Job holder will be responsible for providing specialized support and technical analyses to policy and programme related processes, and activities in the field. The position requires working closely with various partners including government agencies and officials.
The Bangladesh Country Strategic Plan (CSP) 2017-2020 aims to contribute to five Strategic Outcomes that are aligned to four Strategic Results of SDG 2 (Zero Hunger) and SDG 17 (Partnerships for Development). A total of 17 activities are planned to be implemented to achieve the contributions to the five Strategic Outcomes.
Under the Integrated Road Map (IRM) WFP has committed to a new way of working, linking not only all activities to the defined Strategic Outcomes, but also linking the resources used for implementing the activities to the results achieved.
The four strategic outcomes are:
- Vulnerable groups in rural and urban settings are supported by enhanced national actions to improve their nutrition indicators in line with national targets by 2020;
- The most vulnerable population of Cox’s Bazar, the Chittagong Hill Tracts and disaster-stricken areas have enhanced food security and nutrition;
- Innovative approaches to enhance the resilience of food insecure households exposed to climate-related shocks and stresses are validated by 2020; and
- The humanitarian response system for large-scale natural disasters in Bangladesh can respond with reduced cost and lead-time.
- Humanitarian and development partners in Bangladesh have access to reliable services in the areas of supply chain and emergency telecommunications during crises.
Provide capacity strengthening support to Government and NGOs at field level on implementation of social safety nets programme and support implementation of WFP assisted programme/projects, emergency response and preparedness activities under WFP sub Offices; .Rangpur
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Field Operations and the direct supervision of the Head of Sub Office; Rangpur, Programme Associate will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provide technical support and assist in the development and implementation of various activities and processes within the specific area of work supporting alignment with wider programme policies and guidelines.
- Maintain close liaison with government agencies at field and counterparts to ensure that they allocate resources and make funds available for activities as per plan, coordinate implementation and support on monitoring;
- Plan and conduct capacity strengthening trainings for relevant Government officials and NGOs;
- Support the Government and cooperating partners, and provide technical support and follow-up on the development of project activities, plans and processes within this specific technical area;
- Coordinate and support relevant government officials and strategic partners for implementation of “Maternal and Lactating Mother Allowance Programme”, Investment component of VGD programme, Rice Fortification and School Feeding/meal Programme;
- Support in organizing meetings to facilitate programme/progress review with relevant government stakeholders; And follow-up with the relevant Government agencies at field to make sure that necessary actions and corrective measures are taken in accordance with circulars, guidelines and National Policy;
- Plan and support learning visits, assist relevant officials by providing technical support in preparing reports and in initiating follow-up actions; and highlight trends/issues ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control
- Support implementation of Resilience Innovation activities, e.g. Forecast Based Financing (FbF), Micro Insurance, Seasonal Livelihood Programme and support to Small Holder farmers etc., if any of the implementation;
- Coordinate with WFP country office nutrition unit and support nutrition programme (nutrition specific and sensitive) in sub-national level;
- Ensure standard emergency preparedness practices at local level to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and implementation of emergency response activities;
- Represent WFP in Food Security Cluster and District Disaster Management Committee (DDMC) during pre and post-disaster period. Provide capacity building support to WFP’s stand by partner and relevant government stakeholders at district level for emergency;
- Provide analysis of the situation by preparing regular “Situation Report” during emergency period;
- Perform other duties, as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Education: University degree in one or more of the following: Social Science, Economics, Development Studies, or a field relevant to development and poverty reduction.
- Experience: At least 3 years’ experience in of progressively responsible experience in any of the area of Social Protection, School Feeding, Food Security, Nutrition, Emergency Preparedness and Response and working experience in related organization or international development organization
- Knowledge & Skills: Skills in the use of Computers; MS Office such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Working knowledge in spreadsheet and other software packages
- Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Bangla