The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
This post is in Istanbul Area Office (IAO) and will report to Head of Istanbul Area Office.
The incumbent will be expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to various queries with only general guidance. Programme Associates are required to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen operational problems on a daily basis and are expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate support staff
To provide effective specialized support and technical analyses to policy and programme activities within the livelihood support operations.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Provide technical support and assist in the development and implementation of various activities and processes within the specific area of work supporting alignment with wider programme policies and guidelines.
- Provide specialized project management support to specific and/or defined programmes to ensure that the various activities are performed within the established targets following WFP’s policies and procedures.
- Within the specific area of responsibility, prepare a range of reports and data analysis (e.g. assistance needs, resource utilization, programme status, performance) and highlight trends/issues ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control.
- Ensure and/or perform accurate, timely recording of data within the specific technical area of work (e.g. assistance programmes) and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Liaise with internal counterparts to support effective collaboration, implementation and monitoring of ongoing project activities.
- Coordinate and communicate with local partners, agencies, NGOs and government institutions to ensure efficient delivery of assistance.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, cooperating partners and national government within the specific technical area.
- Act as a point of contact for the resolution of a range of operational queries and problems within a specific technical area of responsibility.
- Oversee and/or review the work of other support staff, providing practical advice and guidance, to contribute to delivering objectives to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience: A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience (e.g. development projects or livelihood activities, etc.) is required.
- Education: Bachelor Degree in International Affairs, Economics, Social Sciences or other fields relevant to international development assistance.
- Language: Fluency (level C) in English and Turkish.
- Residency Status: Candidates are required to be Turkish nationals or to have a valid residency permit of at least 6 months in Turkey.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has worked with technical teams; ideally with some management experience.
- Has contributed to implementation of programmes and some strategic engagement
- Has observed or assisted with policy discussions.