The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization.
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under the supervision of the Grant Specialist, the Programme Compliance Assistant will assist in ensuring that all necessary programmatic documentation has been collected and filed in an orderly and timely manner by field programme staff. She/he will be contributing to the regular monitoring of the existence and quality of all programmatic Means of Verification (MoV), by conducting regular reviews of the monthly figures reported by the different field sites and sub-offices, ensuring compliance with DRC procedures and donor requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited to, the following:
- Carry out regular internal programme compliance reviews in all DRC Greece sub-offices in order to verify the existence and proper filing of all necessary supporting documents for the reported figures and to ensure that DRC and donor guidelines are implemented and followed.
- Use the findings of the programme compliance reviewsto develop recommendations and action points to improve on gaps identified.
- Conduct follow-up reviews on the degree of implementation of previously developed action points.
- Contribute to report writing and presentation of the MoV review findings to programme and managerial staff, and other internal stakeholders.
- Provide technical guidance to site level field teams to promote consistency and quality in reporting.
- Contribute to the harmonization and consistency of tools and processes that are related to programmatic compliance.
- Assist in putting in place and ensuring systematic use of appropriate and functional filing systems for both hard and soft copies of key programme compliance documents.
- Facilitate training sessions/workshops aiming to strengthen the reporting and compliance capacity of the programme staff.
- Provide support for other tasks as required.
- University degree in Social Sciences, Statistics, Economics, Law or related field.
- Good knowledge and understanding of project cycle, monitoring tools and documentation, including logframe approach.
- Capacity to produce high-quality reports and presentations in English.
- Prior working experience with local or international NGOs and/or institutional donors will be considered a strong advantage.
- Computer skills.
Skills & Qualities
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness.
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration.
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to humanitarian principles and high sense of ethics.
- Ability to identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required.
- Ability to multitask and cope with multiple demands under tight deadlines.