The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. The incumbent will work in the FAO Representation in Lao PDR under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in close coordination with the technical experts based in the regional office and headquarters.
The International Consultant reports to the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme) and to the FAO Representative (FAOR).
Programme development, coordination and operational assistance based on the knowledge of the local conditions, culture, language and institutions of the country of assignment. Resource mobilisation and donor engagement to support programme development. The incumbent will work in the FAO Representation in Lao PDR under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in close coordination with the technical experts based in the regional office and headquarters.
Tasks and responsibilities
Effective and efficient coordination and provision of the technical and operational support of the programme and project activities of the FAO Representation.
- Focal Person at FAO for United Nations Resident Coordinator Office and other UN Agencies present in Lao PDR or in the region covering Lao PDR;
- Liaise and assist government authorities and local, national and international institutions in the areas of FAO's activities in the country and with other UN agencies. He/she may represent FAO at interagency meetings as required;
- Promote the image of FAO through advocacy of the Organization's mandate, programmes, national priorities and activities in the country;
- Engage with Aid agencies and International Financial Institutions to strengthen resource mobilisation and secure partnerships.
- Participate in producing technical, economic and policy studies as required and developing country level development frameworks such as the United Nations Development Assistance Frameworks (UNDAF);
- Participate in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme and project proposals and monitor and review the status of programme/project implementation to ensure that operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document; identify inconsistencies and delays and, when necessary, propose corrective measures to overcome operational constraints;
- Perform other duties as required.
The incumbent will:
- Provide coordination support among UN agencies and FAO
- Engage with government counterparts at technical level and develop operational links with FAO programmes and projects.
- Liaise and coordinate information gathering and data collection from various government entities in Lao PDR
- Identify, and support match making process and activities for Lao Hand-In-Hand Initiative with different stakeholders and groups of them (i.e. development cooperation, private sector, NGOs, UN system, IFIs etc.)
- Prepare monthly updates on the progress
- Attend and prepare meeting briefs, minutes etc.
- Support the communications teams in Headquarters, Regional Office and Country Office in preparing communications materials, media releases and other outreach activities
- Prepare talking points/ briefs etc for meetings
- Any other responsibility assigned by the FAO Representative
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Minimum a University Degree in agriculture economics, business administration, public policy, international relations, rural development, development economics or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience on resources mobilization and programme coordination.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese Russian) for Consultants. For PSA.SBS working knowledge of English.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Excellent interpersonal skill awareness and respect for diversity and ability to work and perform in large diverse teams are essential skills for success in the position
- Have experience working with international organizations including INGOs, bilateral or multi-lateral agencies, and with UN agencies is an advantage
- Excellent communications skills both written and verbal
- Prior experience of working in the region is an asset