Danish Red Cross, Juba, South Sudan
Closing Date for Applications:
- South Sudan is a relatively new country with many humanitarian and development challenges and a multitude of international and national development and humanitarian actors, including UN agencies and international and national NGOs.
- South Sudan Red Cross (SSRC) has been supported through various projects and programs by nine Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement partners in South Sudan. SSRC is one of the significant local civil society organizations in South Sudan with a presence of 17 local branches in all 28 states, a network of an estimated 12,000 volunteers and over 220 members of staff. SSRC’ operational capacities are still relatively weak in the light of the considerable humanitarian needs in the country.
- Danish Red Cross (DRC) has been working bilaterally with SSRC for more than a decade. Support has been given mainly to development of a capacity for emergency preparedness and response, community based psychosocial programmes and to branch capacity development. Currently focus in the partnership is on integrated community resilience, psychosocial support and emergency response. Currently, DRC has three international staff such as the finance delegate, DM (Surge) delegate & Country Manager and around 15 national staff to implement multi sectoral programme.
- The overall purpose of the Programme Delegate (ECHO funded project) position is to ensure quality and coherent guidance and support to the SSRC on programme management of DRC supported programmes with particular focus on implementing DM and Community based Early Warning project in the field. The position will require hands-on operational support, guidance and coordination and will work with relevant SSRC staff to design and implement programme in Bor state of South Sudan.
Some of the key responsibilities of the Programme Delegate:
- Manage the ECHO funded DM/Early Warning System project and provide strong, technical guidance to SSRC (and Netherlands Red Cross -NLRC) to plan and implement the project in South Sudan.
- Ensure high quality programme implementation and effectiveness, quality assurance (QA) and the compliance with regulations of DRC and ECHO;
- Supporting the CM’s responsibilities to ensure fruitful donor relations, taking a lead in the relationship with ECHO at country level.
- Ensure progress on programme implementation by providing programme management support to NS including development and revision of yearly and quarterly adjusted action plans and budgets
- Monitor programme progress including regular field-visits with NS counterparts
- Support and prepare relevant visibility material for DRC, as per the programme document.
- Work with the SSRC counterpart/Project Coordinator – and provide technical support to SSRC related to the programme.
- Monitor resource allocation and utilization at all levels (DRC Headquarters (HQ), regional and country level)
- Coordination with and supporting the DRC Country Team and other relevant partners in building capacity in SSRC, particularly for donor compliance and project Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (PMEAL).
- Support NS (and DRC/NLRC) participation in relevant cluster and coordination meetings in South Sudan.
Experience and qualifications
- Relevant degree level qualification or extensive professional experience in related field and or social sciences, Disaster management, Project management etc
- Excellent communication, coordination and facilitation skills in culturally and politically sensitive environments
- Knowledge about the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement, Disaster Management and other cross-cutting programmes within the RCRC is an added value
- Proven field experience in project management in conflict-affected or post-crisis countries.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience working in operations management and coordination in the field
- 3 years of experience of analysing, planning, and managing relief and development programmes and resources
- Strong grasp of the planning and managing finances and budgets
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- A high degree of proficiency in both written and spoken English language. Knowledge of Arabic language is an added advantage.