World Vision, Uganda
Closing Date for Applications:
Purpose of the position:
The positions holder will provide technical and managerial leadership to the implementation of UNHCR partnership projects with World Vision Uganda Refugee Response. UNHCR is currently funding World Vision through IRC to Implement Child Protection and NFI distribution in Bidibidi settlement (Yumbe). The incumbent will support resource acquisition, coordination, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting functions of the UNHCR partnership as well as provide support in the design of new grants in line the World Vision refugee response strategy. He/she will be expected to demonstrate strong Christian values and commit to be an example in his/her spiritual life to others.
Leadership and coordination:
- Work with programs and sector staff to respond to UNHCR annual expression of interest, drives the proposal design process and subsequent PPA negotiations to ensure sustained funding for refugee response activities in WNRR
- Responsible for day to day engagement with UNHCR Field offices, OPM and other NGOs on all aspects of UNHCR activity implementation to ensure interventions are aligned to the CRRF, ReHOPE and other GOU policies
- Ensure WV is represented in all sector coordination meetings relevant to the World Vision areas of work with UNHCR and ensure feedback from sector working group meetings and Inter-agency coordination meetings directly feeds into World Vision work among the refugees and host communities
- Establish strong and reliable networks with OPM, UN and all NGOs responding to refugee needs in the WNRR to ensure integration of implementation at all levels.
- Coordinate with INGOs, Districts and the UN through inter-agency meetings and bilateral discussions on all matters related to the UNHCR project to ensure project interventions are informed by existing gaps across all the districts for increased impact.
- Ensure timely response to SO questions and requests in regard to ongoing projects.
Performance Management and Supervision:
- Ensure 100 % staff are recruited and oriented for all projects under your management
- Ensure all staff under your projects have JDs, contracts, performance agreements and all other statutory documents.
- Hold monthly conversations with your direct reports and ensure same is cascaded to entire project teams
- Hold quarterly performance review meetings for your team and their direct reports.
- Manage, supervise and build capacity of staff in project development, management and implementation especially in humanitarian emergency response, CiE and other related project activities.
- Identify staff capacity, psychosocial and other needs, and work with P&C to ensure needs are met
- Facilitate coaching, mentoring and counseling sessions for staff within the programme.
- Ensure project start up meetings take place within 30 days of project start in collaboration with key stakeholders
- Provide leadership in the development of project detailed implementation plans (DIP), project management tools, procurement plans and cash flow forecast to facilitate implementation of the projects under your management in accordance with existing project designs.
- Provide management and technical oversight/guidance to project staff in the identification of refugee and host communities’ children in need of protection services in collaboration with relevant stakeholders.
- Participate in monthly finance review meetings in close collaboration with finance team.
- Organize regular meetings with project teams to review project progress and performance.
- Ensure project closeout plans in place and being implemented 3 months before project end date
- Work closely with CPiE technical specialists at the Response and National Office to support the roll out of project models, designs, training, campaigns, consultancies and approval of technical works, monitoring, supervision and certification of project activities
- Effectively provide supervision and enhance capacity of project staff and partners to implement project interventions to expected standards
Monitoring, and Reporting Evaluation:
- Lead UNHCR and Inter-agency joint monitoring and project reviews and ensure all feedback is well addressed to improve project impact.
- Compile and submit quality progress reports, monthly, quarterly and end of project reports and submits them to programs for onward submission to the donor
- Prepares weekly and monthly situational reports
- Coordinate regular reviews and reflections on progress of the project at the districts and regional levels.
- Ensure project plans are effectively implemented, monitored and progress reports shared. This will include effective finance/budget management. Track all project indicators using the ITT to ensure all project outputs, outcomes and impact is realized
- Document and share project best practices and lessons learned during implementation including action research, case studies and documentaries.
- Maintain tight budgetary control over all UNHCR project budgets and ensure compliance with the PPA. Approves all cost in line with approved budgets and donor regulations
- Work with finance to submit cash request to the donor and ensure funds are available for implementation; provide monthly cash flow projection to WV Kampala against the approved budgets
- Carries out regular financial reviews with relevant sector staff, programs and Finance
- Reviews all project financial reports and transaction listings to ensure only relevant cost are charged and supports finance department in preparation of accurate financial reports
- Prepares and Maintain UNHCR project risk matrix and inventory of all UNHCR assets
- Point person for UNHCR project annual audit and provides responses to all queries related to UNHCR funding implementation
Resource Mobilization and Project Development:
- Provide overall leadership, management, guidance and engagement with strategic partners to ensure the development of quality project designs, concepts and fundable proposals for CiE activities
- Carry out assessments as required in the response area
- Review humanitarian emergency response projects’ documents and align them to set guidelines and standards.
- Any other business as assigned by supervisor, including participation in key committees, task forces
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- Degree in Humanitarian/Development related Discipline /Masters in a relevant field of study is an added advantage
- Has minimum of 5 years NGO work, experience implementing multi-sectoral grants at middle management or senior management level in an INGO.
- Strong policy analysis and advocating skills
- Refugee protection background
- Good budget management skills
- Strong background in Humanitarian coordination with prior experience implementing UN funding.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake high-level representation with donors, and government officials.
- Experience delivering results, multitasking and managing staff in high-stress environment
- Demonstrated expertise in fostering program learning, monitoring and evaluation.
- Programme Management skills
- People management skills