World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Closing Date for Applications:
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The mission of WHO's Health Emergencies Programme (The Programme) is to build the capacity of Member States to manage health emergency risks and, when national capacities are overwhelmed, to lead and coordinate the international health response to contain outbreaks and to provide effective relief and recovery to affected populations. The HEI Department is responsible for ensuring that emergency-affected populations have access to timely and effective health services, ranging from humanitarian interventions, Universal Health Coverage (UHC) in Fragile, Vulnerable and Conflict Affected Settings (FCVs) to key high impact epidemic diseases including Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers (VHFs), Yellow Fever, Meningitis and cholera. The Department prioritizes support to the most vulnerable and low capacity countries.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the supervision and overall guidance of the Responsible Officer the Programme Officer will to the following:
- Conduct the programme management and coordinate the administrative and technical programme support initiatives linked to monitoring and evaluation, budget, work planning, and resource mobilization allocation of public health programmes
- Develop new strategic Public Health programme policies and agendas for the Department/Region/Country Office in order to develop new best practices and innovative approaches to policy development.
- Conduct analysis and dissemination of programmatic Public Health information responding to gaps and needs and document WHO's role on a number of Public Health topics.
- Provide advice and guidance on programmatic challenges in implementing Public Health initiatives to external stakeholders, other UN agencies and Member States.
- Analyse and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of WHO Public Health policies and programmes and recommend new approaches for policy development.
- Design new evaluation tools to provide the Responsible Officer and Management with critical performance measures necessary to maintain delivery of programme targets, and preparation of reports.
- Promote the inclusion of Public Health priorities at the international, regional, and/or country level working with other technical entities, specialized institutes and Centres to develop plans of actions.
- Develop new and strengthen existing external public health partners at the international and/or country level to enable the efficient implementation of Public Health programmes.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Essential: An advanced university degree (Masters level or above) in Public Health, Management, Administration or related field.
- Essential: A minimum of seven years' experience working and managing public health programmes providing technical and managerial support on programmatic issues. Demonstrated experience at the international level.
- Desirable: Experience working in an international organization.
- Strong expertise knowledge and skills in the area of Public Health.
- Strong skills in writing and drafting policy and reports on Public Health activities.
- Strong skills in building partnerships.
- Strong skills in the administrative processes with a sound understanding of work planning.
- Sound skills in utilizing Enterprise Resource Planning Oracle systems or similar packages.