The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Programme Policy Officer – Support Cell will be working under the supervision of the Deputy Country Director, receiving guidance from the Strategic Outcome Manager and regular feedback from Country Director on work performed. The job holder will be involved in programme or policy activities or similar nature and analytical work of limited complexity.
To provide support to policy and programme activities that effectively meet the operation needs of Philippines Country Strategic Plan (CSP).
WFP Philippines is currently implementing its Country Strategic Plan (CSP) from 2018 to 2023. It aims to contribute to four Strategic Objectives that are aligned to four Strategic Results of SDG 2 (Zero Hunger) and SDG 17 (Partnerships for Development). A total of 5 Activities are currently implemented to achieve the contributions to the four Strategic Objectives.
Under the Integrated Road Map (IRM) WFP has committed to a new way of working, linking not only all activities to the defined Strategic Objectives, but also linking the resources used for implementing the activities to the results achieved.
The four Strategic Objectives (SO) are:
- Crisis-affected people in the Philippines are able to meet their food and nutrition needs during and immediately after an emergency.
- Women, boys and girls in provinces prioritized by the government have adequate and healthy diets to reduce malnutrition in line with government targets, by 2022.
- Vulnerable communities in Mindanao have improved food security and nutrition, in support of government targets, by 2022.
- National and Local Government Authorities have enhanced capabilities to reduce vulnerabilities to shocks, by 2022.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Guide the development and implementation of Vulnerability, Analysis, and Mapping (VAM), M&E, Cash, Gender, accountability to affected population and protection component of the activities of WFP’s four strategic objectives, their respective plans and processes, and ensure alignment with wider programme policies and guidance;
- Conduct food security and vulnerability analysis and the preparation of timely reports on food assessment needs in line with wider VAM policies, processes and guidance to enable effective decision-making on the development of country strategy, policies and programmes;
- Support the development of systems and tools for the monitoring and assessment of food assistance needs in line with innovative methodologies and best practice. Coordinate data gathering and implementation of monitoring systems ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained and liaise with internal counterparts to ensure effective collaboration and monitoring ongoing projects;
- Coordinate that the needed WFP systems are in place and implemented to allow the transfer of food and cash to beneficiaries;
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government in the areas of food security and nutrition vulnerability analysis, monitoring and evaluation, gender and protection to effectively inform preparedness and respond to food assistance needs;
- Guide and supervise Programme support staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries;
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs; and
- Other as required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of several statistical tools and methods for food security analysis.
- Developed practical expertise in food security analysis and mapping by participating in multiple assessments in countries, including the design, data collection and analysis.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and understanding of WFP vulnerability mapping systems and emergency assessment standards.
- Solid and proven experience working closely with and building the capacity of NGOs, civil society organizations, academic institutions, and Local Government Units required.
- Previous experience with UN agencies in the country is a plus, with demonstrated ability in partnership building.
- Experience working in public health/food security/nutrition related activities.
- Experience identifying and defining nutrition issues/problems within a country.
- Has developed, or supported in the development of, single discipline work plans to support the achievement of WFP strategic aims within a defined area.
- Has gained some exposure in field operations, preferably in a hardship duty station or Emergency situation.
- Gained experience of analyzing local political situations and assessing risk accurately.
- Gained broader exposure across areas within a function (i.e. policy, programme etc.).
- Has gained experience managing small to mid-size financial budgets, balancing priorities effectively.
- Has experience leading a small to mid-size team to ensure the effective delivery of objectives.
- Participated in a vendor/government/ partner negotiation within area of focus.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: Graduate of Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Economics, Food Security, Statistics, Data Science, Public Health/Nutrition, Geography or other related field.
- Experience: Minimum 3 years of professional experience (with Master’s degree) or 5 years of relevant work experience (with Bachelor’s degree) in planning, programming, implementation, vulnerability assessment mapping, monitoring and evaluation of technical cooperation programmes related to food and nutrition security. Background and familiarity with emergency operations and understanding of nutrition issues in Asia and global context is highly preferred.
- Knowledge: Excellent computer knowledge of Microsoft software applications, particularly MS Access and MS Excel. Willing to frequently travel to project sites.
- Language: Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Filipino.