Programme Policy Officer
World Food Programme, Suva, Fiji
Closing Date for Applications:
The Data Analyst will work for WFP’s Multi-Country Pacific Office as part of a team and under the supervision of the Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping (VAM) Officer and is responsible for ensuring the development, design, and maintenance of the food security data pipeline. The data analyst will focus on the Extraction, Transformation, and Loading (ETL) of data ensuring analysis and knowledge products are streamlined through an existing data pipeline, meeting the highest technical requirements in support of analysis, interpretation, and visualization.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Review, update, develop, maintain, and oversee overall ETL pipeline for remote food security monitoring utilizing tabular data at the lowest possible administrative level.
- Review, improve, and implement ongoing data quality protocols, ensuring data collection meets the highest requirements for eventual publication of food security monitoring results.
- Process and collate data from various sources, including administrative, statistical, primary, and secondary in a format that is machine readable, ensuring methodology is developed collaboratively.
- Utilize statistical tools for analysis identifying trends for descriptive and predictive analysis focused on food security and livelihoods, ensuring its readiness for visualization and dissemination.
- Collaborate with internal/external technical partners to design, develop, and iterate on remote data pipeline solutions relevant to government, with a focus on National Statistics Offices across Pacific.
- Assist with technical engagement of local, national, and regional partners and support capacity strengthening as needed, focusing on utilization of new and existing tools and software solutions.
- Assist adaptation and contextualization of VAM Tools and analysis for Pacific Island Countries by updating the ETL data pipeline, ensuring WFP adapts the latest technologies' analysis.
- Review the sampling methodology (sampling stages, strata etc.), sample frames, approaches for selecting sampling units, weights, size, and the procedures for calculation of expansion factors, as well as the development of weights and documentation of all technical designs.
- Support report writing when needed as it pertains to interpretation of analysis and methodology.
- Research and review food security indicators, develop an in-depth understanding of food systems, analytical frameworks, methods, as well as emerging data management solutions.
OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
- Ensure pipeline meets Government needs and that needs are based on ongoing and coordinated efforts.
- Coordinate and support workshops with relevant government stakeholders focused on data-driven decision-making, transferring capacities to Ministries and government bodies.
- Design and develop information systems based on the latest technologies and ensure solutions serve user needs and information is readily available to decision-makers at various levels.
- Oversee and coordinate integration of various data sources.
- Provide project management support with wider programmes for compliance with WFP standards and procedures related to Extracting, Transforming, and Loading data in support of streamlined decision-making.
- Collaborate with technical stakeholders to ensure that all activities related to data-driven decision-making support government, ensuring there is a coherent package of solutions.
- Liaise with internal counterparts to ensure effective collaboration and monitor ongoing food security monitoring systems implementation.
- Minimum Bachelor Degree in Statistics, Geographical Information Systems (GIS), Computer Science, environmental management, food security, nutrition or other relevant.
- At least 4 (four) years of professional experience for candidates with Bachelor Degree, or 2 (two) years with Master Degree, progressive responsibility in data analysis.
- Statistical and data visualization software packages.
- Experience delivering trainings and implementing capacity strengthening efforts as part of strategy.
- Professional proficiency in writing and communicating in English.
- Demonstrated willingness and success learning and applying new technical skills.
- Willingness to travel frequently, including undertaking field visits to remote places.
- Experience with SQL, Python, R, STATA/SPSS, Tableau, managing large datasets, data engineering, data integration.
- Fluency and accuracy in both oral and written communication in English.