The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Under the direct supervision of the head of Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping (VAM) and M&E and the overall supervision of the Country Director and Representative, the Programme Policy Officer - Data Analyst will be responsible for leading the Data Integration Working Group (DIWG) activities in Rwanda country office as well as activities related to the Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping (VAM). The incumbent will provide support to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Computer Sciences, International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
Knowledge and Skills
- Good knowledge of SPSS
- Good knowledge of databases and Sequel Server database (SQL) in particular
- Python or R programming skills
Experience: At least one year of post-education, progressively responsible experience in database development/management, vulnerability analysis, data analysis or a closely related area or projects.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language; Knowledge of a second UN language will be an added value
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute towards the development of projects, plans and processes, ensuring data availability and alignment with wider programme policies and guidance.
- Provide project management support to the country strategic plan activities and ensure that the data gathered in the CO is available on consolidated platforms contributing to effective decision making
- Ensure robust data gathering and monitoring systems are in place with rigorous quality standards maintained.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government to prepare for and respond to food assistance needs, e.g. through data collection, data availability and analysis.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Survey set up and development of data collection tools
- Participate, as and when needed in the design of Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping (VAM) and M&E surveys;
- Prepare questionnaires/checklists and field materials for data collection for Food Security and Nutrition Monitoring System and other VAM/M&E surveys;
- Develop and programme Personal Digital Assistant questionnaires and other related data collection tools for VAM surveys;
Database set up, maintenance
- Rationalize existing Country Office (CO) VAM and M&E data storage into a limited number of user-friendly databases, avoiding duplication with corporate VAM data bases (online VAM portal…) and corporate M&E systems and ensure the possibility to export them into different file formats for analysis;
- Coordinate regular update of corporate VAM and food security databases and ensure consistency with CO databases as required;
- Ensure quality and consistency of collected data; lead database management; the maintenance of clean datasets and follow up any inconsistencies/discrepancies;
- Establish CO database converging all CO key data overlaying food security and other operational information in line with the data needs from every unit
- Lead design and implementation of various visual products (such as using Tableau) and link them to the databases for real time reporting and visualization
- Liaise with relevant colleagues in and outside WFP, and consult various references on knowledge base on unresolved technical problems when the needs arise;
Data Processing/Reporting and dissemination
- Compile food security and vulnerability information, monthly market price data from monthly situation reports from Field-Offices and other sources; MINAGRI, districts etc. as needed for CO and other WFP/VAM reporting purposes (e.gg: Global Market Price Monitor Bulletin)
- Analyse data from VAM databases using SPSS and other software and prepare expected outputs (graphs, tables, short reports etc.) for further dissemination;
- Assist in drafting VAM bulletins and reports;
- Ensure regular Food security, vulnerability, market data is disseminated to CO staff, Regional Bureau, and HQ as required;
- Follow up of any information/data which are relevant to VAM for further analysis as required;
Data Integration Working Group Coordination
- Coordinate the Data Integration Working Group’s day-to-day activities and manage the group’s secretariat, a small team comprised of members with diverse and specialized skills in data and information management;
- Technical lead of data and system integration activities including ideation, presentation and implementation of innovative ideas;
- Ideation, design and implementation of visual products using Tableau.
Geographic Information system and Mapping
- Support mapping
- Ensure Geo-spatial data is available for mapping activities; including, X, Y coordinates for all WFP Rwanda projects, data for road network layers, Topographic layers, infrastructure layers and Remote Sensing imagery;
- Conduct basic mapping;
- Verify the VAM mapping database is up to date.
Capacity building of staff and partners
- Train field office staff and enumerators on data collection and use of PDAs and GPS data collection as needed;
- Update and maintain help files and manual documentation in order to improve data collector’s knowledge and improve quality of data collection;
- Travel as necessary to the field to ensure quality data collection for VAM/M&E surveys and give necessary support to data collection teams;
- Train and give support to WFP staff for data entry and data extraction/reporting in and from VAM databases;
- Perform other related duties as required.