Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
Freedom House seeks a Project Assistant to provide essential support to the Freedom House office and staff in Kyiv, Ukraine. The Project Assistant will provide the programmatic and administrative assistance necessary for the day-to-day coordination and administration of a portfolio of activities focused on human rights, independent media and freedom of expression. Duties will include, but are not be limited to, finance administration and reporting, logistical coordination, basic research and data analysis, basic communications, and programmatic assistance to the assigned portfolio.
The Project Assistant is a temporary full-time position based in Kyiv, Ukraine and will report to Ukraine Project Director. The temporary position ends in June 2018; however, Freedom House may extend the position, funding permitting. Freedom House will not sponsor residency or work permits for this position, therefore only applicants with the legal right to live and work in Ukraine will be considered.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Track and update program expenditures on a daily basis
- Prepare expense reports for program expenditure in compliance with Freedom House, donor, and Ukrainian requirements
- Coordinate logistics for meetings, public events, and travel, including procurement with vendors for meeting space, invitation lists, catering, and travel
- Assist the Kyiv office staff in the implementation of project activities to ensure successful achievement of project objectives and reporting requirements
- Maintain, promote, and post content in Ukrainian and Russian on Freedom House Ukraine’s social media platforms, including Facebook, and other relevant resources
- Prepare payment requests in full compliance with Freedom House and donor requirements
- Contribute to the preparation of reports, proposals, grants, press releases, news updates, and budgets as required
- Assist in the ordering, receiving, stocking and distribution of office supplies
- Assist with photocopying, scanning, faxing, filing, collating and distributing documents
- Resolve all job-related problems promptly, and escalate unresolved issues as necessary
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required (preferred fields: Human Rights, International Relations, Law, Journalism, Public Communications, or similar)
- Two years related experience in NGO, media, or communications experience a plus
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Professional fluency in Ukrainian and Russian, both verbally and in writing
- Strong knowledge of human rights principles and mechanisms, and understanding of democracy promotion
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles and grant-related compliance requirements
- Mastery of MS Office Suite, and ability to accurately type minimum 40 words per minute
- Ability to coordinate travel logistics, meetings, and use of conference facilities
- Ability to accept and complete administrative tasks with a can-do attitude
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
- Strong ability to apply interpersonal skills, and successfully work in a diverse and multicultural environment with a high degree of ambiguity
- Strong ability to work independently with minimal supervision, plan, organize, prioritize work, and multi-task to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to apply superb attention to detail and consistently produce timely and error-free work
- Excellent time keeping and attendance at all times
- Exhibit excellent phone etiquette, pleasant demeanor, and ethical conduct