Under direct supervision of the National Finance Specialist, the Project Finance/Administration Officer will provide financial management, general administrative support, logistics management and support on the supply chain of health commodities, and capacity building. This will be done in accordance with UNDP rules, policies and procedures, the grant agreement, and corporate agreements with the GF, and working in partnership with national and provincial stakeholders, Sub-recipients (SRs) and Sub-sub-Recipients (SSRs) and close coordination with the GF (including Local Fund Agent), CCM, technical partners and UN entities, and the GF/HIST.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures the implementation of operational and financial management strategies and adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies, financial recording/ reporting system and implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a customer-oriented financial resources management system;
- Continuously review the financial situation and support the PMU in the preparation of forecasts and periodic disbursement requests to be submitted to the Global Fund;
- Supports the development of funding requests, grant negotiations and amendments to the grant confirmations;
- Review and approve the funding authorization and expenditure certificate (FACE) form for SRs on a quarterly basis;
- Regularly monitor financial exception reports for unusual activities and transactions and review anomalies or unusual transactions and inform the supervisor of the results of the review and the corrective actions being proposed;
- Establish agreements, oversee and monitor implementation of work plans by Sub-Recipients (SRs) and national and provincial programmes, and ensure effective coordination amongst them, including conducting monthly meeting with respective SRs and national and provincial programmes to follow up on programme implementation;
- Focal point for inventory and asset management and monitoring;
- Monitors closely the budget, in liaison with the Finance Specialist and conducts quality analysis of the performance of the budget by cost inputs and partner; and
- Under the direction of the Finance Specialist, in the areas of finance and SR management supports programme audits (including SRs) and investigations and in coordination with the Regional Bureau, Office of Audit and Investigations, GF/HIST, ensures timely follow up on management actions and recovery actions.
Ensure the management of programme budgets and the operation of the optimal cost recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Finalization of the financial sections of the update of the progress report and the disbursement request and preparation of quarterly and biannual forecasts of cash flows and annual cash flows, and statement of sources and use of funds in accordance with Global Fund requirements for submission to the Global Fund;
- Timely review and finalization of the improved financial report and other ad hoc financial reports as required by the Global Fund;
- Periodic preparation of fund balances taking into account data provided by SR fund balances to ensure better forecasting of activities, if necessary;
- Timely preparation of program budget reviews and provision of justifications for budget reallocation / reprogramming requests (when applicable) for submission to the Global Fund;
- Preparation and monitoring of budgets; regular analysis and reporting on budget approvals and delivery status;
- Monitor and ensure that Global Fund contributions are properly transferred to UNDP in a timely manner;
- Ensure that advance payments and direct payments for SR providers are properly reviewed and made in a timely manner, and ensure that payment information is correctly recorded in the Atlas system in a timely manner;
- Timely review of SR cash accounts to ensure availability of sufficient funds for implementation and appropriate disbursements;
- Timely identification and registration of receipts for the income request;
- Initiating bank transfers and transactions, selecting bank transfers and transactions for approval and settlement;
- Timely preparation of monthly cash flow forecasts for use by supervisor;
- Acts as cashier for on-site transactions;
- Ensures proper management of cash receipts and petty cash; and
- Maintenance of the proper filing system for finance records and documents.
Provides general administrative, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Plans, prioritize and implement activities related to administrative needs;
- Ensures efficient, effective, responsive, transparent and accountable provision of administrative services to support the implementation of the activities;
- Coordinates and work together with procurement staff to ensure health commodities, goods and services required;
- Maintains liaison and close working relationship with the PMU on all administrative issues; and
- Ensures production and maintenance of up-to-date and accurate administrative records and reports including supervision and assistance provided to SR.
Ensure the organization of logistics services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supports in managing all logistics operations required to ensure delivery of goods and services;
- Supports on logistic management for health supplies e.g. green light procedure, shipping documents, packaging requirements, temperature requirement, delivery requirement, handling of goods, loading/offloading etc;
- Supports in establishing and implementing supply chain optimization projects;
- Monitors and tracks of all shipments with regular follow-ups with the freight forwarders and suppliers on timeliness of delivery;
- Advises the supervisor about any delays and possible deviations from the logistic plan and advise on possible corrective action;
- Ensure timely alert on goods level and availability of other equipment in the province;
- Transport management, focusing on needs and vehicles availability;
- Oversee management of the daily pool of drivers and vehicles, ensuring timely services, issuing fuel, recording log-books and maintenance of vehicles;
- Review, on a monthly basis the driver’s log book and track fuel consumption, maintenance, oil consumption and movement of vehicles; and
- Ensure proper conduct of drivers by arranging briefing session for the drivers on safe driving, proper maintenance of vehicles and security precautions.
Ensures facilitation of capacity building and knowledge building and sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- In coordination with the Programme Specialist supports the development of partnerships and maintains strong working relationships with the national and provincial partners, NGOS, CSOs, communities, donors, technical partners, and UN entities to ensure transparent and effective management, quality services and oversight of the programmes;
- Engages with the implementing partners, NGOs, CSOs, UN entities, technical partners to strengthen national systems and health institutions, across functional area of procurement and asset management;
- Facilitate CBOs in organizing events such as trainings, workshops, meetings and other planned activities;
- Provide travel arrangements for PMU staff;
- Supports the Finance Specialist in the development of capacity development and transition strategies to support national entities to implement and assume the PR role, ensuring access to appropriate tools and resources;
- Identifies and supports development of communications (print, video) highlighting key procurement achievements; and
- Actively participates in UNDP and other relevant external networks to promote the programme.
- Any other duty assigned by the Finance Specialist.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters degree in Accounting, Finance, Management.
- 2 years of relevant experience
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems
- Experience with ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft desirable
- Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS.
- Experience in an international organization in completing financial management
- Knowledge and experience working in the UN or UNDP rules, regulations, policies and procedures is an asset
- Strong knowledge of Global Fund’s financial policies and procedures, is an asset.
- Proficient in verbal and written English and a local language.