Project Management Assistant
United Nations Environment Programme, Kingston, Jamaica
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
- Provide support to the IWEco PCU and to the Coordinator of the Cartagena Convention Secretariat to facilitate document preparation, programme execution and project product generation, reporting and stakeholder outreach at various levels.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations systems designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional levels. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of global consensus on environmental issues by keeping the environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action.
- The Caribbean Environment Programme (CEP) is one of the UNEP administered Regional Seas Programmes. CEP is managed by and for the countries of the Wider Caribbean Region (WCR) through its role as Secretariat for the Cartagena Convention and three Protocols on Oil Spills, Marine Biodiversity (SPAW), and Land-Based Sources of Marine Pollution (LBS).
- The Integrating Water, Land and Ecosystems Management in Caribbean Small Island Developing States (IWEco Project) is a five-year, regional project that builds upon the work of previous initiatives to address water, land and biodiversity resource management as well as climate change. IWEco’s objective is to contribute to the preservation of Caribbean ecosystems that are of global significance and to the sustainability of livelihoods. These objectives are achieved through the application of existing proven technologies and approaches best suited for small island developing states. The project works to improve the management of fresh and coastal water resources, land resources and forests.
- IWEco is funded by the Global Environment Facility (GEF), and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the lead Implementing agency for regional components and national sub-projects.
- Under the overall oversight of the IWEco core staff, with ultimate oversight provided by the Regional Project Coordinator, the Individual Contractor will provide direct support and assistance to the IWEco Project Coordination Unit (PCU) and will mainly communicate with National Project Coordinators of participating countries and with other partners to support, outline and document activities that are underway at both National and Regional levels.
- As the IWEco project also provides support to the Cartagena convention Secretariat, under the oversight of the Coordinator of the Cartagena Convention Secretariat, the Individual contractor will provide direct support and assistance to the Cartagena Convention Secretariat staff members with the collection of thematic information, editing/preparation/drafting of documents based on provided materials, documentation of data and any other administrative works which are deemed necessary to support the implementation of the Cartagena Convention Secretariat.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Support IWECo PCU and the Coordinator of the Cartagena Convention Secretariat with the following:
- Assist in the compilation, design, and dissemination of info-graphics, factsheets, and awareness materials including for posting to the IWEco project and Convention websites, social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Linked-in).
- Maintain communication with IWEco National Project Coordinators and other project stakeholders to carry out analysis and draft project products, present data and information to display the implementation of projects and activities including informational material and presentations, in documents and through PowerPoints.
- Assist in the update of project and programme databases as well as assisting the IWEco project Support Staff with administrative, editing, note taking, drafting, etc. duties related to the IWEco project as well as the Cartagena Convention Secretariat.
- Provide support to the implementation of project and programme activities.
Skills: - Some experience with project management and project execution in a multicultural and multiracial environment.
Academic Qualifications: -
- Minimum of two (2) years working experience in project/programme management relating to environmental sustainability/conservation.
- Proven track record of international orientation would be an asset.
- Minimum of two (2) years working experience in project/programme management related to environmental sustainability/conservation/management, natural resources management, environmental policy, international relations, communications, or similar.
- Experience working with an International Organization would be an asset.
Language: Proficiency in oral and written English required.