UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in some 170 countries and territories, working with them on their own solutions to global and national development challenges. As they develop local capacity, they draw on the people of UNDP and our wide range of partners. UNDP has been working in Libya since 1976. Over the years we have re-aligned our support to meet emerging priorities in the country. Since the outbreak of conflict in 2014 and the deteriorating humanitarian situation, we continue to support Libya's transition to an inclusive political agreement, accountable governance, stabilization, economic recovery and resilience.
The project for ‘Supporting the Resilience of Local Communities” is planned as a one-year project aiming to further develop capacities of municipalities at the local level in Libya to respond to the conflict-induced challenges that impact negatively citizen access to essential services, people’s sources of livelihoods, the social cohesion of communities. To achieve its overall goals, the Project will empower local actors to devise and implement an integrated resilience and recovery programmes that cater the immediate needs of local populations for basic services and economic livelihoods. This support will be provided through various activities, including provision of essential equipment to municipalities to enable them to provide public services in health, education and water supply areas; conduct of needs assessments and to support small scale businesses.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative, the Project Management Consultant will support management of project planning and monitoring of project activities. This functional role involves ensuring proper and timely reporting to donor(s), and preparation of substantive proposals for funding using RBM tools as follows:
- Project planning and monitoring of project activities
- Leads, coordinates and monitors activities of the project on daily basis;
- Leads the strategic design of project services, operational capabilities, and partnership mechanisms;
- Initiates, establishes and coordinates effective working relationships with national and international public and private partners, to ensure knowledge sharing and coordination during the project implementation phase, inclusive monitoring and evaluation;
- Provides advice and support to project personnel (technical specialists, project officers, support staff, consultants) and ensures timely implementation, results orientation and accountability for project results;
- Guides the project staff to perform project oversight, quality assurance, monitoring, reporting, field missions, audits, evaluations, formulations and project support services;
- Coordinates the project activities with the relevant UNDP Libya business units;
- Monitors the progress on agreed results framework and performance indicators and take action/decision and/or provide timely support to project staff.
- Drafts regular progress and final reports based on inputs provided by project staff;
- Ensures that reports are provided to donors according to UNDP’s agreement obligations;
- Develops detailed implementation plan based on the project documents including preparation of project concept note and planning documents;
- Carries out detailed operational needs assessment for each activity of the implementation plan;
- Advises the DRR on operational feasibility of requests received by project and impact of operational realities on project sites on planning and delivery timelines;
- Disseminates work plans to project personnel and ensure their full comprehension;
- Prepares donor proposals for Community Resilience project in line with needs and overall UNDP Resilience strategy and donor requirements;
- Maintains regular contact with donors ensuring timely reporting and compliance with donor agreements.
Coordination of project procurement activities focusing on achievement of the following results:
- In coordination with procurement unit ensures efficient and economical procurement of goods, civil works and contractual services in accordance with UNDP rules and procedures.
- Proven experience in drafting reports, project documentation, development of audio-visual materials and presentations relevant to project implementation;
- Experience in conflict-affected or post-conflict environment;
- Experience of development in Libya context;
- Knowledge of UNDP’s rules & regulations and experience in operational aspects of project implementation including finance, procurement and human resources field;
- Strong IT skills, including extensive usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.);
- Experience in coordination and communication with the private sector donors is a strong advantage;
- Ability to perform well under pressure and flexibility in handling unexpected work assignments as and when necessary
Required Skills and Experience
Academic Qualifications: Master’s Degree in business administration, international affairs, management, political science, development studies, economics.
Years of experience:
- At least 4 years of relevant experience in programme support, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and programme management, procurement and resource mobilization.
- A Minimum of 2 years of working experience in the area of coordination and partnership with the UN Agencies, Donors and Government Officials;