The Project Management Support Specialist reports to the Senior Project Manager who provides broad supervision and guidance. The role is responsible for supporting the Senior Project Manager with the day-to-day operations of the 2 projects and coordinating project progress and implementation for both projects. He/she maintains a close eye on the operational and financial performance, identifies probable issues that may need attention, supports in problem analysis and solution identification as necessary, coordinates resolution as per action-items assigned, drafting required correspondences to stakeholders concerned and preparation of mission reports. Project Management Support Specialists are most likely required to work in complex and challenging environments with limited resources.
Functions/Key Results Expected:
- Project Implementation
- Financial and procurement management
- Project monitoring and reporting
- Stakeholder management, coordination and liaison
- Knowledge management and innovation
- Preparation and maintenance of project files, including internal and external project reports.
- Manage information flows and oversee change controls, risk registers and issue management by establishing document control procedures.
- Manage assigned delivery of work packages and take responsibility for progress.
- Coordinate and liaise with the Senior Project Manager on the implementation progress.
- Advise the Senior Project Manager of any deviations from the plan and update plans.
- Work with the Senior Project Manager to identify and manage risks.
Financial and procurement management
- Maintain all supporting project financial documents for audit and review processes.
- Ensure accurate data entry into the UNOPS ERP system (OneUNOPS) and OneUNOPS Projects – as appropriate.
- Monitor project budget and financial expenditure and all administrative procedures in line with the work-plan.
- Process direct payments and advance requests and prepare project budget revisions.
- Produce financial reports; including developing financial monitoring and reporting formats as per UNOPS requirements.
- Support the Senior Project Manager by monitoring budgets, cash flow and reporting on expense obligations to ensure that deliverables are met.
- Alert the Senior Project Manager or any financial shortfalls and over-expenditures.
- Propose budget revision and initiate corrective action when necessary.
- Coordinate vendor communications, meetings, and reports as necessary.
Project monitoring and reporting
- Provide substantive inputs to assist the Senior Project Manager in the preparation of project reports and documents, ensure compliance with contractual obligations and UNOPS policies, processes and procedures.
- Maintain records of project files and other supporting documents.
- Maintain the following records: Quality Register, Configuration Item Records and all other registers/logs delegated by the Senior Project Manager.
Support the Senior Project Manager in maintaining the following:
- Electronic Blue File,
- Procurement, HR and Finance files as required by UNOPS policies
Manage the compilation, consolidation and analysis of relevant data of the mission.
Stakeholder management, coordination and liaison
- Support the coordination and management of communications.
- Liaise and build relationships with other United Nations (UN) agencies and international non-governmental organizations (I/NGOs) for the purposes of facilitating activities and improving the quality and relevance of information analysis.
- Actively contribute to the management of Project Boards.
- Participate in meetings with UN agencies, NGO’s and other Stakeholders as required.
Knowledge management and innovation
- Support the compilation of lessons learned as per defined reporting format.
- Ensure that Local capacities are built at every level and opportunity for Project Management Support.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for planning and knowledge building.
- Contribute to expertise in tools and techniques.
Impact of Results
- The Project Management Support Specialist directly impacts the achievement of project results by assisting the Senior Project Manager to adhere to project management methods and strategies, reduced risks, cut costs and improved quality and success rates.
- This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
- A Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Logistics, Accounting, Finance, Political Science, Emergency Management, International Relations or any relevant field is required OR
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Logistics, Accounting, Finance, Political Science, Emergency Management, International Relations or any relevant field with an additional two (2) years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master's Degree.
- 5 years relevant experience in the field of Project Management and/or Operations Management is required.
- A minimum of one (1) year knowledge of UNOPS/UN rules and regulations is an added advantage.
- Experience in humanitarian emergency operating contexts, including humanitarian coordination mechanisms, donors, security, and operations management is highly desirable.
- Experience and demonstrated knowledge of UN rules and procedures in Procurement, Finance, HR Management and administrative rules and regulations will be an advantage.
- Prior experience in multi-stage reporting and project support is highly desirable.
- Past experience implementing WB funded projects is highly desirable.
- Skills in Project Management 5 years is required.
- Skills in Operations Management 5 year is required.
- Skills in Budget Management 2 years is required.
- Fluency in written and oral English required.