PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To provide field level leadership, management and technical support of food assistance project towards effective and efficient implementation and management of the Cash, Food and Non Food resources, ensuring that the project achieve its goals and objectives as per donor requirements and World Vision International standards and procedures.
To provide guidance to the Response Manager and/or Operations Director on sector recommended procedures and guidelines, and development of national office national office staff capacity in the programming and management of food, cash and NFI.
Communicate World Vision's Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that is an example to others.
- Manage successful implementation of the food assistance project including cash transfer, food and Non Food items distribution to adequately mitigate the impact of the current drought emergency among the beneficiary communities, ensuring a fully integrated operation including WASH, Health and community centred Child Protection activities within the project’s area of influence.
- Establish an effective commodities accounting and reporting system in alignment with World Vision Food Resources Manual and streamline project risks management plans within ongoing operational planning.
- Establish operational priorities, set and monitor performance targets for the food assistance team and direct reports in alignment with the project document and WVS’ Strategy, Vision, Mission and Core Values to successfully achieve or surpass proposed ministry focused key performance metrics.
- Successful integration of a functional humanitarian accountability systems and structures within the operation ensuring total community participation and feedback mechanism e.g. functional A, M&E, CRM etc.
- Provide effective leadership to all project staff and consolidate a working culture - based upon results based management principals - that consistently achieves and/or surpasses established targets and standards.
- Impart appropriate mentoring, coaching and supervision in order to equip, motivate and empower the next generation of Food Assistance program leaders within WVS.
- Effective communication and timely reporting and coordination of reflection and learning sessions to ensure learnings influence programming.
Installation and Maintenance of World Vision’s Standards in Food Aid Management:
- Initiate and install World Vision food assistance management systems in the project, ensuring systems, procedures and documentation are all installed as per standards.
- Set up and efficiently implement Cash transfer in selected areas, ensuring observance and adherence to set standards and protocols.
- Initiate and install sound commodity management systems in the project including field and warehouse according to World Vision standards.
- Accountable for proper receipt and safe storage of food and non-food commodities, making frequent visits and dialogue with the warehouse staff to ensure records, commodities and systems meet the desired warehouse and commodity management standards.
- Provide adequate training to the project staff (distribution and warehouse staff) and recommending further training as appropriate to ensure staff capacity is developed to the desired levels. Documenting the training and capacity building sessions for future reference.
- Ensure LMMS/CTS system is installed and reports are produced as per standards.
- Work closely with P&C to review and revise Job descriptions as and when required for the project staff to increase efficiency, in line with the changes in the operation modalities.
Supervision and Management of Field Operations:
- Plan and coordinate commodity distributions, ensuring sound logistics and distribution plans are shared, and approvals obtained as necessary.
- Coordinate with partners and stakeholders on the ground, ensuring that adequate information on the project is shared and attend regular and impromptu coordination meetings.
- Collaborate with AM&E team for routine on-site distribution monitoring and reporting to inform programming.
Preparation and submission of Reports:
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly commodity reports are prepared and shared.
- Ensure that the LMMS/CTS systems are adequately utilized and reports completed and submitted to National Office on a timely basis.
- Closely coordinate with FAIRO to ensure monthly LMMS/CTS, narrative quarterly and annual reports are submitted for review and uploading to the FGDB on timely manner.
- Produce required management and progress reports.
Engagement and Networking:
- Represent World Vision to local government officials and partner representatives.
- Conduct regular meetings with counter-parts, to coordinate efforts, obtain updates and/or resolve issues.
Finance & Assets Management:
- Accountable for the Project’s financial management and reporting.
- Responsible for the project assets, ensuring that use and records are and Prepare and manage a food logistics budget based on tonnage.
- Periodically participate in budget negotiations for upcoming programs.
- Follow up with the field teams on the payment deductions from the transporters in case of the transport losses.
- Prepare budget for upcoming programs.
- Proper management of the approved budget.
People & Performance Management:
- Participate in the identification and recruitment of food assistance
- Ensure proper training and develop capacity building for commodity staff.
- Responsible for performance management of the project including coaching, mentoring and ensuring continuous feedback is provided to staff. Finalize in a timely manner, the routing periodic performance setting and measurement tasks e.g. staff Perform agreements, review and appraisal.
- Create and maintain teamwork.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- BA Degree /Masters in Business Administration, Social Science or in other related field.
- Extensive exposure to food aid programs management (minimum 5 years) preferably with international experience.
- Adequate knowledge and experience in food aid programs and donors standards appropriate to the management of
- the food programs.
- Knowledge of the Sphere standards, Code of Conduct for Red Cross/ Red crescent, Humanitarian Accountability
- Partnerships (HAPI) and other international humanitarian standards.
- Extensive experience in supervising staff and conducting capacity building workshops.
- In depth working Knowledge of computer soft wares like CTS, Excel, words, fax and e-mail, etc.
- Ability to effectively develop rapport and relate to donors, NGOs, counterparts, and government agencies.
- Must be willing to travel and a flexible approach to living conditions.
- Fluency in English is essential.
- Ability to achieve personal Integrity and trustworthiness.
- Ability to solve problems and prioritize many demands without losing focus.