Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Abuja, Nigeria
Closing Date for Applications:
This role will provide critical support to the Nigeria Country office across a broad range of work areas — program assistant, strategy development and project management, ensuring follow-through, prioritization, and effective coordination of all engagements and work products. This position is both operational (supporting senior staff, field visits, communications, president, co-chair and CEO engagement, internal convenings and events, etc.) and programmatic. This role will work in tight coordination with the communications team and the Strategy Planning & Management team. The Project Manager will occasionally be tasked with leading special projects on behalf of the Leadership team and Program Officers.
Other areas of focus may include driving the identification and implementation of process improvements, policies, and procedures; managing relationships with various teams and/or serving as an advisor to program leadership.
- Applies judgment to ambiguous and dynamic situations to resolve issues at lowest level; but also ensures he/she elevates issues and decisions when needed.
- Combines foresight, strategic vision, and tactical sense to counsel leadership on possible courses of action and possible repercussions.
- Supports the communications team in planning the Nigeria Country Office’s internal relations and communications work by helping prioritize, manage, and track critical relationships and helping prepare presentation materials.
- Supports Director in planning Nigeria Country Office’s service to the Co-Chairs, CEO, President, ELT, and internal colleagues by helping prioritize, manage, and track critical relationships and helping fulfill requests.
- Enhances the Nigeria Country Office’s awareness of key organization and external events and information.
- May develop trip agendas and ensures that materials meet the Director’s objectives and information needs. Specific responsibilities will vary based on the strategic objectives and nature of the trip.
- Ensure effective convening and communication with project team members, stakeholders and senior leadership. Includes status, solutioning, risk/issue management and key decisions.
- Facilitate meetings and communications throughout the project lifecycle to build project momentum and ensure transparency of relevant project information to appropriate audiences
- Manage the coordination and oversee the logistical flow of convenings, complex meetings and other special events, including for leadership visits and staff from headquarters and regional offices.
- Responsible for effective and timely communication between team and vendors via phone and email
- In partnership with the foundation’s events team, provide event planning support by securing meeting space, vehicles, arranging domestic travel, organizing registration for participants, preparing agenda and handouts and arranging technology support.
- Support in note taking and dissemination to participants.
- Assist with program activities as assigned by the POs and ensure the timely processing and the delivery of required materials.
- Support POs in site visit coordination with grantees and foundation staff, including preparing documents and overseeing logistics.
- Provide program assistant support to principles and visiting staff when needed.
- Maintain grantee database.
Core Knowledge and Skills
- Strong relevant work experience in roles for developing, implementing, and managing projects/programs.
- Prior experience in supporting leadership across operations and programmatic areas strongly preferred.
- Commitment to the foundation’s mission and values.
- Must be highly-organized and efficient, and possess strong judgment with a demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks, complex issues, and competing priorities with strong attention to detail.
- Must be a solid team player who can operate independently and possess strong relationship management skills to manage confidential information and situations with flexibility and diplomacy, while cultivating trust within the team.
- Ability to work well with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders to incorporate new information and drive to appropriate decisions with and for the team.
- Comfortable in a wide range of cultural, geographic and operational situations, demonstrating culturally sensitive behavior with a diverse range of people.
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills in order to effectively and accurately represent the office of the Director, as needed, to a variety of audiences as well as draft and proof-read written documents.
- Ability to navigate a wide range of operational issues with solid experience and understanding of core business/organizational disciplines – strategy, operations, legal, IT, HR, marketing, finance, planning, and budgeting.
- Innovative and open-minded approach to all aspects of work.
- Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint is required. Experience in learning and mastering new software applications.
- The highest personal and professional integrity along with an optimistic outlook.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of time as needs dictate.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s or other advanced degree and 3-5 years of experience, or equivalent experience.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with proven track record to lead multiple contending tasks and demands
- Excellent communication skills to reach a variety of audiences and learners.