Protection Monitoring Assitant
Danish Refugee Council, Thessaloniki, Greece
Closing Date for Applications:
- The Danish Refugee Council initiated its activities in the island of Lesvos in November 2015 due to the unprecedented influx of asylum seekers. Following new political developments and displacement dynamics in early 2016, DRC expanded its activities to the mainland to support the people living in several sites across the country. With offices in Athens, Larissa and Thessaloniki, it currently implements a wide range of activities, including Site Management Support, legal assistance, identification of individual needs and protection of highly vulnerable persons, access to services within and outside the hosting sites through cultural mediation, and non-formal education. DRC works closely with the refugee communities, the Greek authorities and other humanitarian actors to ensure a protective environment for refugees and asylum seekers in Greece.
- Under the supervision of the Protection Monitoring Team Leader, under the overall management of the Field Protection Manager, and in close cooperation with other Protection colleagues, DRC field units and other relevant actors in the area of the North, the Protection Monitoring Assistant will be 100% field based, develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern and will support the implementation of DRC’s protection objectives and activities to provide timely and effective protection to persons of concern under DRC projects in the emergency reception sites.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Support the implementation of general protection activities in accordance with agreed objectives.
- Protection monitoring, data collection, and documenting of the needs of the persons of concern.
- Participate in awareness raising sessions and information campaigns for persons of concern.
- Provide appropriate and relevant information to refugees and migrants regarding their rights and services available to them.
- Participating in (joint) assessments, identifying protection concerns and reporting for follow-up.
- Support mapping of services and development of effective referral pathways.
- Identify vulnerable individuals and facilitate appropriate action, including referrals to specialized services and protective accompaniment as necessary.
- Support DRC distribution activities ensuring vulnerable individuals are identified and fast tracked for assistance.
- Participate in population profiling and verification exercises to ensure adequate and relevant data collection.
- Encourage, support and monitor community-based protection networks in the emergency reception sites.
- Provide input on case studies, best practices and lessons learned from each of the activities implemented.
- Provide translation/interpretation as necessary.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the line manager, relevant to the achievement of Protection objectives.
- Collaboration and supervision
- Report any major issues to the protection management.
- Collaborate with DRC colleagues to resolve problems and issues as they arise.
- Ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct throughout activity implementation.
- Minimum 1y of previous experience with refugees and asylum seekers
- Fluency in written and spoken English language
- Fluency in Arabic or Farsi and/or Kurdish (Sorani, Kurmanji) language
- Strong computer skills
- University degree in Social science, Law, Refugee and Migration studies, International Relations, Psychology or related field
- Experience in refugee accommodation settings in the Greek context or similar
- Experience with protection tools, data collection, reporting, raising awareness on refugee rights and/or community mobilization/mediation
- Fluency in Greek or French language
Required Skills and Qualities
- Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
Terms & Conditions
- The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law (this is a national position)
- All allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus)
- DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
- The position will be based in Thessaloniki (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply