All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s values. To be dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable are attitudes and believes that shall guide our actions and relationships.
The Central and West Africa Regional Office (CWARO) located in Dakar, Senegal, supports and provides oversight to NRC’s country programmes in Burkina Faso, Cameroon, the Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Mali, Niger, and Nigeria. NRC’s programmes and advocacy support families affected by conflict in the shelter, food security and livelihoods, education, water and sanitation, camp management, and legal assistance sectors. NRC has over 1,300 employees working on the NRC regional response.
NRC is committed to fulfill its compliance obligations and requirements in order to mitigate risk, increase accountability and improve quality. To facilitate this commitment, the Central and West Africa Regional Office (CWARO) is establishing a Compliance and Risk Management Unit in 2020. The Unit will support Country Management Groups (CMGs) to develop and manage Country Office (CO) compliance programs. Additionally, the Unit holds regional oversight of high-risk compliance issues in COs, with regular analytic reporting to the Regional Management Group (RMG). The Unit is also supporting COs to further implement the new risk management process.
The purpose of this position is to establish and lead the Regional Complia
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of strategies, tools and methods to measure compliance in areas of high organizational risk in the region
- Manage the performance and staff development of the members of the Regional Compliance and Risk Management Unit
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to the development of NRC global compliance approaches, policy, practice and standards
- Provide strategic support, advice and capacity building to Country Office staff and management groups on compliance and risk management
- Serve as a member of the Regional Management Group
- Based on NRC’s internal handbooks, policies, and procedures, as well as donor and legal regulations, lead the regional development of independent, systematized compliance and quality control mechanisms on high-risk issues (both in programmes and support) in coordination with the HO Risk Management Department and the other Regional Compliance Units
- Monitor the implementation of critical recommendations in countries within the Central and West Africa (CWA) Region, and provide regular reports to the Country Management Group (CMG) and the Regional Management Group (RMG)
- Oversee the training, support, and compliance monitoring of the implementation of cross-cutting policies, such as Securing the Supporting Documentation guidelines, Data Protection, and Risk Management, in the region
- In collaboration with the Regional Logistics Advisor, establish the regional High Value Tender Review Committee
- In collaboration with the Programme Department, establish the Major Project Committee
- Minimum of 5 years of humanitarian management experience, including an oversight and control role
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- In depth knowledge of issues relating to compliance within a complex international aid agency
- Knowledge and understanding of a wide range of related disciplines (including finance, grants management, programme implementation, HR, risk management, safeguarding, security)
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to engage a range of senior and/or specialist colleagues in a review and change process
- Documented/proven results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Professional proficiency in French is required
- Valid driver’s license
- Knowledge of the application counter-terrorism legislation on humanitarian assistance
- Analytical thinking
- Working with people
- Planning and delivering results
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environmentsnce and Risk Management Unit.