NRC in the Middle East is responding to the Syria and Iraq crisis, assisting refugees in Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq as well as the displaced. NRC also works in Palestine and with Palestinian refugees in Lebanon. NRC works in shelter, emergency distributions, education, water and sanitation and legal assistance. Our response on the ground has grown rapidly with the dramatic rise in displacement and we now have over 3,000 staff members working on the NRC regional response.
The purpose of this position is to be responsible for conducting and advising on administrative investigations in the region, in coordination with the Head Office based Anti-Corruption and Investigations senior advisor, and help mitigate against the need for future investigation. The Regional Investigations Specialist will conduct and advise on internal investigations into allegations of misconduct, such, fraud, corruption, workplace harassment, SEA, abuse of authority and other potential violations of NRC’s rules and regulations and, support the development and implementation of prevention measures. The incumbent will work closely with the Regional Senior Management Group, NRC Country Directors and a variety of staff across NRC programmes in the region, including inside Syria.
Social sharing :
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure a strategic and compliant approach to investigations procedures in the region in accordance with the NRC investigation guidelines
- Prepare investigation plans and coordinate investigations with the Anti-corruption and Investigations Senior Advisor, Head Office
- Conduct investigations in accordance with the approved investigation plan and complete investigation reports with clear recommendations
- Contribute to the effective implementation of, and compliance with key organisational policies and procedures in NRC
- Coordinate with relevant stakeholders to ensure investigations are aligned with HR processes for effective and timely response and resolution of cases
- Support the corruption risk identification and assessment processes for country offices
- Assess initial reports of possible misconduct
- When required travel extensively to the country offices in the region to conduct investigations
- Provide remote advice, guidance, and support to country offices managing investigations
- In consultation with other NRC regional positions, the global Anti-Corruption and Investigations Senior Adviser, and other relevant Head Office staff, coordinate due process and help promote compliance with NRC polices and processes..
- Prepare regular analysis reports for management outlining trends and highlighting specific issues related to investigations and corruption in the region.
- Train, coach and mentor country office staff with investigations responsibility
- Contribute to the development of capacity building programmes, including but not limited to Code of Conduct and Anti-Corruption
- Draft regional guidance and policy documents to contextualize global NRC investigation guidelines / escalation criteria that further clarify the role of administrative investigations in the region.
- Facilitate and promote the sharing of best practices and positive behaviors identified in country operations
- The position is expected to form part of the Head Office pool of investigators and support Head Office lead investigations outside of the region when needed
Generic professional competencies:
- University degree in investigations, law or other related field, or significant training and experience in the field of investigations
- Formal training and or certification in investigative methodology
- Knowledge of the Arabic language highly preferred
- At least 5 years relevant experience
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
Context/Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the context in the Middle East highly desirable
- Experience in administrative investigations in the United Nations or INGO sector
- Experience of finances and logistics in a humanitarian context
- Relevant international work experience